Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Will kde run on mir at all?

Beans

Re: Will kde run on mir at all?

Quote Originally Posted by mr john View Post
    And here we have the biggest problem with Linux... Fragmentation, clashing egos and a clear lack of leadership because everyone wants to be leader. It's pathetic. This is why Desktop Linux is such a mess. The product? A bunch of mediocre distros that are cobbled together in a disorganised manner. And everyone refusing to work together. This is why we're constantly playing catchup with organised companies.
    Indeed but then if we had clear leadership, clear this, clear this...there would only be one distro, that's the point of all the distro's everyone has slightly different views?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by ZarathustraDK View Post
    As long as upstream keeps its doors open if Mir goes mainstream, I don't have a problem either. Putting down a veto, though, communicates an unwarranted discriminatory stance on the project. As in "never gonna happen".

I guess it's a word-thing...
    I guess, read the last two articles in Martin's blog and make your own conclusions:
    http://blog.martin-graesslin.com

The whole blog is very interesting for anyone curious about software development, for example this article from September about Wayland shows a way of doing things that, if I understand it correctly, would ease the inclusion of Mir when it gets adopted by more distributions:

http://blog.martin-graesslin.com/blo...-kwin-and-kde/

Considering how versatile is KDE and how much is improving lately in performance and stability without sacrificing features makes me think that the project is in good hands.

Beans

that's the point of all the distro's everyone has slightly different views?
    And that's why everything has been cobbled together in a disorganised an messy fashion. People go in a hissy fit if they don't get their way instead of learning to work together. Everyone wants to be leader, but no single entity has the resources to create a good product.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Oh look! This is relevant to the thread:
    https://plus.google.com/113883146362...ts/P4GFie3VoD8
    EDIT: Interesting how KDE developer Aaron Seigo corrects yet another misunderstanding.
    Last edited by tartalo; March 11th, 2013 at 10:49 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by tartalo View Post
    Oh look! This is relevant to the thread:
    https://plus.google.com/113883146362...ts/P4GFie3VoD8
    EDIT: Interesting how KDE developer Aaron Seigo corrects yet another misunderstanding.
    10/10 for correcting, 4/10 for style I can understand the frustration and how it annoys him, but stoking the flames about some underlying anti-wayland conspiracy by the Mir-guys isn't really a constructive way to go about it. Do not attribute to malice that which can be explained by ignorance.
    "Act only according to that maxim by which you can also will that it would become a universal law." - Immanuel Kant
    "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master." - Pravin Lal

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by ZarathustraDK View Post
    but stoking the flames about some underlying anti-wayland conspiracy by the Mir-guys isn't really a constructive way to go about it.
    Where does he say anything like that? Did you read the same thread I read?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by tartalo View Post
    Where does he say anything like that? Did you read the same thread I read?
    It's all cloak'n'daggers paranoia He isn't saying it per se, but we all know what people will take with them when they read:

This is not the first time in all this that someone affiliated with Mir has publicly opined on the future of KDE's workspace efforts vis-v-vis Mir or Wayland, and I would like to ask you to stop doing that.

It's disrespectful on the one hand, and makes our job of communicating clearly with our users and partners more difficult as the conflicting information increases.
    Again, I'm not saying it didn't happen, that he's wrong, or that he's consciously trying to incite anything; but let it boil for a couple of days and then the above will become something along the lines of "Canonical sabotaging Wayland" in the eyes of the community hivemind.

Sooo...I guess it's not really "stoking the flames" as much as it's "leaving that gasoline-can a bit close to the fire", hence the 4/10 for style
    "Act only according to that maxim by which you can also will that it would become a universal law." - Immanuel Kant
    "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master." - Pravin Lal

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345