Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Will kde run on mir at all?

Beans

Re: Will kde run on mir at all?

Quote Originally Posted by JDShu View Post
    It literally stands for fear, uncertainty, and doubt. When you say that Wayland has input security problems, you are spreading FUD, and whether intentional or not, it's bad behavior
    I guess that wiki is suggesting that Wayland hasn't resolved the issue X has concerning isolation of applications and inputs (e.g. if a hacker were able to run xinput on a target computer, they would effectively have a keylogger for all applications (and password prompts) running on that instance of X).
    Last edited by Larkspur; March 10th, 2013 at 08:03 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ELD View Post
    It's a given fact that Ubuntu is the most popular Desktop distro, they (KDE) could potentially lose out on a lot of users couldn't they?

I am looking at this from a user perspective only it just seems pathetic. It just seems very unfriendly of KDE and quite childlike of that person to not accept patches.
    Ubuntu is not Kubuntu. How many Kubuntu users are there compared to all the other KDE distros combined?

I don't think KDE is being childlike at all, just practical.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    Ubuntu is not Kubuntu. How many Kubuntu users are there compared to all the other KDE distros combined?
    And unless Mir becomes mandatory in _buntu for technical or political reasons, or Ubuntu becomes fully independent from Debian and the Universe repository disappears, Kubuntu will have the possibility to use X or Wayland or whatever Debian uses instead.

We could be discussing a non-issue.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Paqman View Post
    No, but frankly who cares? Unless you're involved with either Wayland or Ubuntu then it's someone else's argument. I don't really see why us bystanders need to get emotionally invested in it.
    I think if a company turns out to be either technically incompetent or malicious then it makes sense to care. Anyway, people can get emotionally invested in whatever they want. Acting like they have no reason to seems sanctimonious.

Yes they did. Jono Bacon said in an interview to OMGubuntu that Wayland didn't suit their needs back in Jan.
    And apparently they began six months prior to that. I personally thought they were joking when they said that they might roll their own.

You don't really know that.
    I know enough to know they didn't understand Wayland. Maybe they were just incompetent then.

FUD is a technique for smearing competing products in the media. Simply stating what you think something flaws are isn't FUD, even if you're wrong. It would be FUD if they were doing so with the intention to undermine support for Wayland, but that's not the case here.
    They clearly had the intention to undermine the legitimacy of Wayland however in order to justify starting Mir. The point is that if the Wayland devs hadn't made a big stink of it, users would have thought that Wayland was insecure and couldn't do many things which it could.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ELD View Post
    I just hope it all works out for the better for the users and not for Canonicals personal business gains.
    I hope it works out for the better for the users and for Canonical's business gains. If Canonical goes bust, Ubuntu fails.

Whether or not you like Ubuntu, it is helping to bring a strong competitor to the Android-iOS-Windows environment. It is also the first OS to bring true unification between devices, which should spur competition further.
    Always make regular backups of your data (and test them).
    Visit Full Circle Magazine for beginners and seasoned Linux enthusiasts.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by tartalo View Post
    Why? No project would go out of it's way because a single downstream has it's own plans. While the whole Linux ecosystem has been discussing Wayland, Canonical is going its own way without counting on anyone else, even some Ubuntu Community members are angry with the way Canonical is behaving lately, why should KDE developers patch their software to accommodate Mir?
    The crux of the argument is not about KDE going out of their way to patch their software to be compatible, it's about someone else coming up with a patch (doing the work for them) and then have them refuse to include it because of the Wayland/Mir-debacle.

I'd call that pathetic. Sure, if there's a technical reason why it shouldn't be included, fine; but hamstringing development because the contributor doesn't like your favorite band is childish IMO.
    "Act only according to that maxim by which you can also will that it would become a universal law." - Immanuel Kant
    "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master." - Pravin Lal

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy Landau View Post
    I hope it works out for the better for the users and for Canonical's business gains. If Canonical goes bust, Ubuntu fails.

Whether or not you like Ubuntu, it is helping to bring a strong competitor to the Android-iOS-Windows environment. It is also the first OS to bring true unification between devices, which should spur competition further.
    Very true I wouldn't like to see Ubuntu fail since it's already given me so much.

Thinking on it, unless they remove X from the repo's it shouldn't be too much of an issue since you could install X and a different desktop, like me for example i use Ubuntu + Cinnamon and don't really plan on changing so for me I guess it would still all work out okay unless nvidia suddenly removed X support in favour of Mir (unlikely).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by ZarathustraDK View Post
    The crux of the argument is not about KDE going out of their way to patch their software to be compatible, it's about someone else coming up with a patch (doing the work for them) and then have them refuse to include it because of the Wayland/Mir-debacle.

I'd call that pathetic. Sure, if there's a technical reason why it shouldn't be included, fine; but hamstringing development because the contributor doesn't like your favorite band is childish IMO.
    I fail to see the problem with "downstream specific patches should be applied downstream" policy.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by tartalo View Post
    I fail to see the problem with "downstream specific patches should be applied downstream" policy.
    As long as upstream keeps its doors open if Mir goes mainstream, I don't have a problem either. Putting down a veto, though, communicates an unwarranted discriminatory stance on the project. As in "never gonna happen".

I guess it's a word-thing...
    "Act only according to that maxim by which you can also will that it would become a universal law." - Immanuel Kant
    "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master." - Pravin Lal

Beans

And here we have the biggest problem with Linux... Fragmentation, clashing egos and a clear lack of leadership because everyone wants to be leader. It's pathetic. This is why Desktop Linux is such a mess. The product? A bunch of mediocre distros that are cobbled together in a disorganised manner. And everyone refusing to work together. This is why we're constantly playing catchup with organised companies.
    Last edited by mr john; March 11th, 2013 at 08:20 PM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast