Thread: samba file server

Beans

samba file server

I want to create a samba file server that I can access from 1 windows 7 pc. My question is, is it possible to have 2 hard disks of 2 TB to be seen as 1 share in windows 7? and if this is possible how will the data be split when 1 of the drives (partition) is full?

prodigy_ is offline May the Ubuntu Be With You!
    Beans

Re: samba file server

Quote Originally Posted by Artanis.ro View Post
    I want to create a samba file server that I can access from 1 windows 7 pc. My question is, is it possible to have 2 hard disks of 2 TB to be seen as 1 share in windows 7? and if this is possible how will the data be split when 1 of the drives (partition) is full?
    Never heard of this being done at samba level. There are at least three solid options though:

- RAID0
    Pros: Higher read/write speed. Does exactly what you want. Relatively easy to set up, especially as a fakeRAID if you MB supports that. Data are automatically split between all member disks.
    Cons: No redundancy. If one disk fails, you may lose all data on all disks, so having an external backup might be absolutely necessary.

- Spanned volume
    Pros: Does exactly what you want. Can be set up on existing system. Data are automatically split between all member disks.
    Cons: Same as above.
    More info:
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lvm
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Se...tACleanInstall

- Subfolder (e.g. the first disk is mounted as /mnt/share and the second as /mnt/share/subshare)
    Pros: Very easy to set up.
    Cons: You need to split data manually. Possibly won't work with a non-native file systems on the first disk (not sure since I've never tried this approach).
    Last edited by prodigy_; March 9th, 2013 at 01:15 AM.