Thread: Vintage Email Server Application

Beans

Lightbulb Vintage Email Server Application

Attention: Not sure if this is completely the best place to post this; if not so, then whatever admin or moderator can feel free to move it accordingly (not that you don't already have such power -- I am merely suggesting). Onward to my post.

So, I'm not completely new to Linux. I have office experience with Lucid Puppy and Ubuntu. I, also, have a bit of gaming experience with Ubuntu. I started on windows 98 as a child. I remember
    that there were some applications that could host a virtual email server in XP as I aged. Later, I learned of older versions that were for Unix systems that would export directly to a C terminal. I'm looking for an updated or outdated version of any email server applications that run in the Unix environment that perform as described.

Feel free to list any newer email server applications that I can export/manipulate via terminal as well. I like to experience the way that things were long ago, but I'm also a fan of the visual effect
    that it brings.

~Thanks in advance.
    Vex\Grey
    Last edited by VexingGrey; March 8th, 2013 at 11:19 PM. Reason: Format

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Vintage Email Server Application

Mail is a terminal application. For a mail server, you can install sendmail. There are lots of tutorials on how to set it up.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

My preferred text-mode email client is alpine.

On the server side, you actually need two separate pieces of server software to make things work properly. First would be an SMTP server program like Postfix or sendmail that handles the process of exchanging mail with other servers. After the mail is delivered, typically to a file called /var/mail/username, another program is used to handle mail retrieval by a client like alpine or Thunderbird. Ubuntu uses a program called dovecot for this task.
    If you ask for help, please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll set up a real server at some point and run it on an im/nom domain or externally. This is great!.