Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dualbooting Ubuntu 12.10 w/ Windows 8 w/ UEFI installed

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Dualbooting Ubuntu 12.10 w/ Windows 8 w/ UEFI installed

I do not have UEFI.

But I think each time you run this is changes, or maybe new menu offers more details.

To perform this, just run Boot-Repair --> Adv options --> tick "Backup and rename EFI files" --> Apply
    Then reboot the PC to UEFI/BIOS and chose ubuntu, and please tell us what you observe.
    Please enable SecureBoot in your BIOS, then run Boot-Repair --> Advanced Options --> "GRUB options" tab --> tick "SecureBoot" --> Apply.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    I do not have UEFI.

But I think each time you run this is changes, or maybe new menu offers more details.

To perform this, just run Boot-Repair --> Adv options --> tick "Backup and rename EFI files" --> Apply
    Then reboot the PC to UEFI/BIOS and chose ubuntu, and please tell us what you observe.
    Please enable SecureBoot in your BIOS, then run Boot-Repair --> Advanced Options --> "GRUB options" tab --> tick "SecureBoot" --> Apply.
    Did all that, UBuntu was unaffected but Windows does still not run.

http://paste.ubuntu.com/5602535

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

If there is not a function to unrename, and you cannot boot Windows, you have to manually rename files back.
    Have you tried with secure boot both on and off?

I would back up the entire efi partition just to be safe.

You should also have an original copy here:
    Windows UEFI install should have backup of bootmgrw.efi here:
    C:\Windows\Boot\EFI\bootmgfw.efi from a working Windows x86_64 installation.

These are the files copied & renamed. Basically shim was named to the Windows file names and bkp added to original Windows files.
    rm /boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi
    Saved and renamed /boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi
    cp /boot/efi/EFI/ubuntu/shimx64.efi /boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi
    rm /boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootx64.efi /boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootx64.efi.grb
    cp /boot/efi/EFI/ubuntu/shimx64.efi /boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootx64.efi (& .grb)
    rm /boot/efi/EFI/Boot/bootx64.efi
    Saved and renamed /boot/efi/EFI/Boot/bootx64.efi
    cp /boot/efi/EFI/ubuntu/shimx64.efi /boot/efi/EFI/Boot/bootx64.efi

Edit:
    If you turn secure boot off. And then in Boot-Repair untick the secure boot and tick the rename files, does it then rename them back?
    Last edited by oldfred; March 10th, 2013 at 07:46 PM. Reason: Another possible option
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

If there is not a function to unrename, and you cannot boot Windows, you have to manually rename files back.
    Have you tried with secure boot both on and off?

I would back up the entire efi partition just to be safe.

You should also have an original copy here:
    Windows UEFI install should have backup of bootmgrw.efi here:
    C:\Windows\Boot\EFI\bootmgfw.efi from a working Windows x86_64 installation.

These are the files copied & renamed. Basically shim was named to the Windows file names and bkp added to original Windows files.
    rm /boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi
    Saved and renamed /boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi
    cp /boot/efi/EFI/ubuntu/shimx64.efi /boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi
    rm /boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootx64.efi /boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootx64.efi.grb
    cp /boot/efi/EFI/ubuntu/shimx64.efi /boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootx64.efi (& .grb)
    rm /boot/efi/EFI/Boot/bootx64.efi
    Saved and renamed /boot/efi/EFI/Boot/bootx64.efi
    cp /boot/efi/EFI/ubuntu/shimx64.efi /boot/efi/EFI/Boot/bootx64.efi

Edit:
    If you turn secure boot off. And then in Boot-Repair untick the secure boot and tick the rename files, does it then rename them back?

I disabled secure boot, and unchecked it in boot-repair. It now bypasses Grub and goes straight in to Windows. Although I am extremely happy and thankful, is there anyway to go back into ubuntu now? If not I'm not going to be extremely disappointed, as I can now get into windows. Either way I thank you all very much for the help.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

It should have worked before.

But grub's shim file should boot with secure boot on. Or with secure boot off either shim or grub's standard efi should boot. But some UEFI have been modified to only boot bootmgfw.ef. So for those cases Boot-Repair renames files. The shim has the Microsoft key and will boot if renamed to the Windows file and grub should be able to chain load back to the backup Windows file
    bkpbootx64.efi and boot.

Or it depend a lot on your UEFI design and then what settings you have in UEFI. Can you boot with secure boot off a ubuntu entry?

Beans

It should have worked before.

But grub's shim file should boot with secure boot on. Or with secure boot off either shim or grub's standard efi should boot. But some UEFI have been modified to only boot bootmgfw.ef. So for those cases Boot-Repair renames files. The shim has the Microsoft key and will boot if renamed to the Windows file and grub should be able to chain load back to the backup Windows file
    bkpbootx64.efi and boot.

Or it depend a lot on your UEFI design and then what settings you have in UEFI. Can you boot with secure boot off a ubuntu entry?

When I keep secure boot off (it is off right now) I boot straight into windows. When I turn it on, it boots into Grub and Windows does not work. Honesly I'm completely content with this, not sure if Ubuntu is for me. By that I mean I do love Ubuntu, it had a great interface and was very fast. I will be installing Ubuntu on my Desktop, as this laptop is for work. Is there anyway I can remove Ubuntu from the Partition and use the Hard Drive for Windows again?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

If you have Windows booting, then you should be able to delete the Linux partitions.
    From UEFI menu you will have to delete the grub/Ubuntu boot entries.

Beans

If you have Windows booting, then you should be able to delete the Linux partitions.
    From UEFI menu you will have to delete the grub/Ubuntu boot entries.
    I deleted the Linux Partitions, and formatted the HardDrive. Everything works fine, so I'm not going to delete the boot entries since it is working and don't want to mess anything up lol. The Ubuntu community has been great and very helpful, and I will be installing Ubuntu on other computers, as UEFI didn't seem to go too well. I thank you for all your help, and appreciate your kindness.

-William

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12