Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: Dualbooting Ubuntu 12.10 w/ Windows 8 w/ UEFI installed

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Beans
    10

    Dualbooting Ubuntu 12.10 w/ Windows 8 w/ UEFI installed

    Hello all, just a disclaimer, I am completely new to installing Ubuntu, so please bear with me. I recently purchased a Windows 8 laptop (for java programming), and I have realized first hand how awful Windows 8 is (especially for Eclipse). I understand that Ubuntu is phenomenal with Eclipse and programming in general, and would like to Dualboot it with Windows 8.

    I have a USB flashdrive (4gb) that I am hoping to install the iso to. I am planning on using Ubuntu as my daily os, just still want to have Windows in-case I want to play some games or something. So I do want to have quite a bit of my harddrive allocated to Ubuntu. So anyways, I would love if someone can help me step-by-step dualboot Ubuntu on Windows 8 (UEFI), and hope to hear from someone soon.


    Thanks in advance,
    William O'Brien
    Last edited by wtoj34; March 10th, 2013 at 11:03 PM. Reason: [Solved]

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Chicago Suburbs
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Dualbooting Ubuntu 12.10 w/ Windows 8 w/ UEFI installed

    What laptop as that can make a huge difference. Some dual boot easily, some with difficulty and some not at all or you may end up with a brick (Some Samsungs, but other Samsungs have installed ok).

    Also if an Ultrabook, it is more complicated as that uses RAID, which must be turned off, and dual video which requires bumblebee.

    You will need to use the 64 bit version of 12.10 or 12.04.2 and from the UEFI menu boot the flash drive in UEFI mode. That way it will install in UEFI mode.
    Systems need quick boot or fast boot turned off in UEFI settings. Vital for some systems. Best to backup efi partition and Windows partition first.
    Use Windows Disk Tools to shrink Windows main partition, but not to create any new partitions, if installing on same drive.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI
    https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/UEFI
    As of 12.04.2, it is possible to install on UEFI systems with Secure Boot enabled (using signed versions of Shim, GRUB, and the Linux kernel). This is only currently set up for Ubuntu (desktop, alternate, and server) and Edubuntu images due to pressures of time; we expect to enable it across the entire Ubuntu family for 12.04.3. Details:
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PrecisePango.../UbuntuDesktop
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.







  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Beans
    10

    Re: Dualbooting Ubuntu 12.10 w/ Windows 8 w/ UEFI installed

    Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    What laptop as that can make a huge difference. Some dual boot easily, some with difficulty and some not at all or you may end up with a brick (Some Samsungs, but other Samsungs have installed ok).

    Also if an Ultrabook, it is more complicated as that uses RAID, which must be turned off, and dual video which requires bumblebee.

    You will need to use the 64 bit version of 12.10 or 12.04.2 and from the UEFI menu boot the flash drive in UEFI mode. That way it will install in UEFI mode.
    Systems need quick boot or fast boot turned off in UEFI settings. Vital for some systems. Best to backup efi partition and Windows partition first.
    Use Windows Disk Tools to shrink Windows main partition, but not to create any new partitions, if installing on same drive.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI
    https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/UEFI
    As of 12.04.2, it is possible to install on UEFI systems with Secure Boot enabled (using signed versions of Shim, GRUB, and the Linux kernel). This is only currently set up for Ubuntu (desktop, alternate, and server) and Edubuntu images due to pressures of time; we expect to enable it across the entire Ubuntu family for 12.04.3. Details:
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PrecisePango.../UbuntuDesktop
    I am running a Toshiba Satellite, I do know how to disable quickboot. I have Ubuntu installed onto a USB flashdrive. So does this mean, I create partition, disable quickboot and it should dualboot from there?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Chicago Suburbs
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Dualbooting Ubuntu 12.10 w/ Windows 8 w/ UEFI installed

    Most need secure boot off, although Ubuntu has the Microsoft key and should work with secure boot on.

    If from Windows you have made unallocated space on hard drive, you can then install by booting flash drive. Install on flash drive is just a liveCD/flash which you should run in live mode, just to know it works with your system. Then you can install.
    If you just want the default install of / (root) and swap it will auto install to the unallocated space.
    But if you want more than the default you have to use Something Else and chose size of partition, format (ext4), mount (/, /home, etc). If dual booting with Windows a shared NTFS data partition is highly recommended.

    [SOLVED] Can't install Windows 8 & Ubuntu in Toshiba Portege Z930 with explanation how by OP feb 2013
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2114290


    Some Toshiba's will not boot.
    they managed to leave the signing key out of the database that's used to validate binaries
    or make sure you have the most updated UEFI/BIOS.

    Samsung, Lenovo & Toshiba UEFI issues
    http://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/22028.html
    Matthew Garrett's Blog
    http://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.







  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Beans
    10

    Re: Dualbooting Ubuntu 12.10 w/ Windows 8 w/ UEFI installed

    Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    Most need secure boot off, although Ubuntu has the Microsoft key and should work with secure boot on.

    If from Windows you have made unallocated space on hard drive, you can then install by booting flash drive. Install on flash drive is just a liveCD/flash which you should run in live mode, just to know it works with your system. Then you can install.
    If you just want the default install of / (root) and swap it will auto install to the unallocated space.
    But if you want more than the default you have to use Something Else and chose size of partition, format (ext4), mount (/, /home, etc). If dual booting with Windows a shared NTFS data partition is highly recommended.

    [SOLVED] Can't install Windows 8 & Ubuntu in Toshiba Portege Z930 with explanation how by OP feb 2013
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2114290


    Some Toshiba's will not boot.
    they managed to leave the signing key out of the database that's used to validate binaries
    or make sure you have the most updated UEFI/BIOS.

    Samsung, Lenovo & Toshiba UEFI issues


    http://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/22028.html
    Matthew Garrett's Blog
    http://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/


    So I installe Ubuntu on a Partition, all went well. Ran boot-repair, and can no longer boot into windows with the grub menu. I get an error.

    http://paste.ubuntu.com/5600437

    Please help as I have a project to be done and need to access Windows 8.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Chicago Suburbs
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Dualbooting Ubuntu 12.10 w/ Windows 8 w/ UEFI installed

    Is secure boot on?

    This entry should work.

    menuentry "Windows UEFI bkpbootmgfw.efi" {

    Some of the os-prober entries will not work.

    grub2's os-prober creates wrong style (BIOS) chain boot entry
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...2/+bug/1024383
    type of entry from Boot-Repair that should work.
    'Windows UEFI loader'
    Type of entry that does not work:
    'Windows ...) (on /dev/sdXY)'
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.







  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Beans
    10

    Re: Dualbooting Ubuntu 12.10 w/ Windows 8 w/ UEFI installed

    Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    Is secure boot on?

    This entry should work.

    menuentry "Windows UEFI bkpbootmgfw.efi" {

    Some of the os-prober entries will not work.

    grub2's os-prober creates wrong style (BIOS) chain boot entry
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...2/+bug/1024383
    type of entry from Boot-Repair that should work.
    'Windows UEFI loader'
    Type of entry that does not work:
    'Windows ...) (on /dev/sdXY)'
    The menuentry did not work, said command not found.

    The launchpad link seems to be a similar issue, just didn't see a fix on that site for it. Once again I really need this issue fixed ASAP have a project due in 3 days

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Beans
    10

    Re: Dualbooting Ubuntu 12.10 w/ Windows 8 w/ UEFI installed

    Should I just open a new forum post under a different topic as this is a different issue?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Chicago Suburbs
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Dualbooting Ubuntu 12.10 w/ Windows 8 w/ UEFI installed

    If you run Boot-Repair again and un-rename the backup Windows files, it will restore the original windows boot file. Then from UEFI menu you should be able to directly boot Windows.

    /EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi

    This file is there. Do not know why you are getting an error.

    /EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bkpbootmgfw.efi

    Boot-Repair copies files as some UEFI are incorrectly only letting the Windows efi file boot.

    Boot-Repair - Updated Jan 1, 2013 to not rename first time, but rename if first time Windows does not boot. Post 706 and 711
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...769482&page=71
    Boot-Repair copied /EFI/ubuntu/grubx64.efi to /EFI/Boot/bootx64.efi (in case the BIOS is hard-coded to boot into /EFI/Boot/bootx64.efi or secure boot
    signed GRUB file shimx64.efi.

    Another thread will not help. Only a couple of us respond on UEFI issues.
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.







  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Beans
    10

    Re: Dualbooting Ubuntu 12.10 w/ Windows 8 w/ UEFI installed

    Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    If you run Boot-Repair again and un-rename the backup Windows files, it will restore the original windows boot file. Then from UEFI menu you should be able to directly boot Windows.

    /EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi

    This file is there. Do not know why you are getting an error.

    /EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bkpbootmgfw.efi

    Boot-Repair copies files as some UEFI are incorrectly only letting the Windows efi file boot.

    Boot-Repair - Updated Jan 1, 2013 to not rename first time, but rename if first time Windows does not boot. Post 706 and 711
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...769482&page=71
    Boot-Repair copied /EFI/ubuntu/grubx64.efi to /EFI/Boot/bootx64.efi (in case the BIOS is hard-coded to boot into /EFI/Boot/bootx64.efi or secure boot
    signed GRUB file shimx64.efi.


    Another thread will not help. Only a couple of us respond on UEFI issues.

    If there is any way you could post some sort of screenshot tutorial or something that would be great. This is my first experience with Ubuntu and boot-repair, and am afraid of messing anything up. Do I unrename inside boot-repair and if so where?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •