Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: cant boot into windows after migrating from wubi

Beans

Re: cant boot into windows after migrating from wubi

No i didn't have another install of windows and deleted nothing. I just migrated the wubi install to another partition different from windows ( C: ). Thanks for the help though and the info. . i tried to repair using a windows live usb but that didnt help instead i lost my grub menu too. what do you suggest i do now?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Do you have an Ubuntu CD/USB? You can boot it and reinstall grub.
    Code:
    sudo mount /dev/sda2 /mnt
    sudo grub-install --boot-directory=/mnt/boot /dev/sda

Beans

hi,
    bcbc: will the command fix my windows problem too?? like i have got the ubuntu install running now..i mean i repaired it using a ubuntu usb. you see i am planning to stick with ubuntu for now but i will need my windows install for gaming and other stuffs too... so could you suggest me something so i could get my windows running please....

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

post #8 should have repaired Windows. But if you just run the auto repairs, it also reinstalls the Windows boot loader to the MBR, overwriting grub. Better to use Windows command line repairs. And you may need chkdsk.

Rerun Bootinfoscript or BootInfo report which includes bootinfoscript just to see if Windows repairs did add the Windows boot files correctly. But It seems you still need Windows repairs.

Post the link to the BootInfo report that this creates. Is part of Boot-Repair:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Info
    Boot Repair -Also handles LVM, GPT, separate /boot and UEFI dual boot.:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair
    You can repair many boot issues with this or 'Create BootInfo' report (Other Options) & post the link it creates, so we can see your exact configuration and diagnose advanced problems.
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Beans

Im not sure about windows 8, but in windows 7 I could fix the missing windows boot files by booting the windows install disk/usb then going to a command prompt and running "bootsect /nt60 C:", then running update-grub should get both working.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12