Thread: Please i need urgent help

Beans

Exclamation Please i need urgent help

Hi , i have ubuntu 12.10 on a laptop toshiba , i was doing some math practice and i put the laptop next to me , and after 30 minutos the laptop enter un suspention and after a minutes i press on button to use again the laptop ( i press enter , space bar and nothing happen ) and the laptop dint send signal in the scream , i allow that for like 5 minutes and nothing , i put the battery away press on button 15 seconds and nothing , i remove the bios battery wait 15 minutes put again and nothing!!!!! ubuntu damaged my laptop ?? i cant start nothing not even the bios , just the green ligth appears and nothing else happen!! my laptop is dead so how can i fix it ??? only happen on ubuntu!! i have dual boot , ubuntu + windows 8 and both are update ! please help me !! i am on a cyber!!!
    Last edited by lisati; March 8th, 2013 at 11:44 PM. Reason: We feel your frustration; please be careful with your choice of words.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Please i need urgent help

If you can't even get to the BIOS then it's a hardware failure of some sort. You probably need to take it to someone to have a look at it.
    Cheesemill

Beans

It isn't unheard of for Linux to destroy some laptops and certain computers if they don't fall under the rudementary ACPI Controls Linux has. Most likely The computer overheated and what you thought was suspend was in fact the graphics card/chip failing. But also it could be the UEFI borked and bricked the laptop. That has been reported recently.
    Last edited by ManamiVixen; March 8th, 2013 at 11:45 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by ManamiVixen View Post
    It isn't unheard of for Linux to destroy some laptops and certain computers if they don't fall under the rudementary ACPI Controls Linux has. Most likely The computer overheated and what you thought was suspend was in fact the graphics card/chip failing. But also it could be the UEFI borked and bricked the laptop. That has been reported recently.
    Linux isn't more likely to break laptops at all.

It does sound like a graphics card problem though, I've had several machines where the graphics has failed and I've had to reflow the GPU.
    Cheesemill

prodigy_ is offline May the Ubuntu Be With You!
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ManamiVixen View Post
    It isn't unheard of for Linux to destroy some laptops and certain computers
    Any OS can destroy hardware, particularly when hardware isn't made up to specs. But in most (read: 99%) cases hardware dies for other reasons - old age, shoddy manufacturing, mishandling, etc.

---

Dear OP, we feel your pain. But Ubuntu, most likely, has nothing to do with what has happened, believe me or not. Your data are probably recoverable, though you'll need to take the HDD out and connect it to some other PC. (This can be a bit tricky so if you're unsure try to find someone knowledgeable to do that for you.)
    Last edited by prodigy_; March 9th, 2013 at 12:02 AM.

Beans

I didn't say "Likely" I said "Isn't unheard of" So it's rare, but happens.

But yes, I agree with my other comrads here. The hardware failed on it's own accord.
    Last edited by ManamiVixen; March 9th, 2013 at 12:16 AM.