Thread: Edimax EW-7811Un adapter stops working after update to 3.7.0-7-generic kernel

Beans

Edimax EW-7811Un adapter stops working after update to 3.7.0-7-generic kernel

Hello,

I followed instructions to correctly set up the adapter for initial use using Realtek's latest driver. Worked great. Got lots of updates done and almost had system like I wanted it. Then did an update to latest kernel (I am running 32bit 12.10) and on reboot, adapter began exhibiting the signs of seeing networks but not connecting. I followed the steps to install Realtek's driver again but am unable to get the module to load. I get:

FATAL: Error inserting 8192cu (/lib/modules/3.7.0-7-generic/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/8192cu.ko): Unknown symbo in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)

Any suggestions?

Also I have no access to wired internet on that box. I have a laptop that I'm currently using but until I resolve this issue I can't download new headers or anything on that box.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Edimax EW-7811Un adapter stops working after update to 3.7.0-7-generic kernel

Doesn't look like you've blacklisted the original built in module. You should do that, by adding blacklist rtl8192cu to /etc/modprobe.d/blaclist.conf. Reboot, then try rebuilding.

PS: 12.10 shouldn't have the 3.7 kernel in the repositories. You might want to stick to the tried and tested 3.5.
    Last edited by mikewhatever; March 8th, 2013 at 11:34 PM.

Beans

Re: Edimax EW-7811Un adapter stops working after update to 3.7.0-7-generic kernel

I have definitely blacklisted the orginial rtl8192cu module. How do I remove the 3.7 kernel repositories and keep it on 3.5?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

That error usually happens when any of the associated modules are incompatible with the one that has been built. If the original module has been blacklisted, then, perhaps, you've tried installing compa-wireless.

How did you install the 3.7 kernel? Have you added any repositories?

Beans

~
    Last edited by ahallubuntu; June 27th, 2013 at 03:47 AM.