Thread: How to add a user in Ubuntu

Beans

How to add a user in Ubuntu

I'm compliling some software from source and it recommends creating a new user and group prior to executing make and make install. The command

Code:
    adduser <user>
    does this but I don't really want a seperate directory created for the user nor do I want it to be added at login. Is there a command or switch that disables both of these?

Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: How to add a user in Ubuntu

You can remove the new user's home directory manually with rm, and this shows how to remove them from the login screen.

Beans
    Hidden!

I am not on an Ubuntu install atm, so cannot give you the correct command switches. I will however suggest you run the code,

Code:
    man adduser
    this will give you a description of the adduser command and its switches, I am sure creating a user account without a home directory is one switch I've used in the past. Good luck.

Beans

Thanks for your swift replies.

Beans
    Hidden!

OP, I just noted the "compiling from source" comment in your opening post. May I ask what software it is you are needing to compile ? I ask as beginners in Ubuntu will often unnecessarily compile software when there are more than adequate versions available in the repositories or in PPAs (personal package archives from ubuntu devs) hosted on launchpad.net. We may be able to make life much easier for you (and your package management system ) if a better option than building from source is available. Cheers.

Beans

The software is Gnunet version 0.9.5a (via subversion). I'm following the instructions here: https://gnunet.org/ubuntu1204-gnunetgtk

There is an earlier version in the repos but I've been unable to get that package to work correctly on my system. I don't hold out particular hope that installing the later version will help but I thought I'd give it a try.

Beans
    Hidden!

There is a gnunet ppa, but seems to be for older releases. Seeing as you've tried the repo version, compiling sounds about right Cheers.