Thread: usb install

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

usb install

i cant get my widows 7 pc to mount my ubuntu 12.10 usb (store bought) i have shut down my fire wall and all security protection

i keep getting

boot error

-

when i try the boot helper it trys to install but kraps out before finishing
    Last edited by geogur; July 6th, 2013 at 10:27 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Re: usb install

since i don`t want to save my windows os what can i do to wipe windows of and have ububntu on the entire drive

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Can you tell us something about your PC?
    Will the flash drive work on another Computer?
    Can you download a 12.10 ISO?

Beans

Gogur, you have to first make sure your system is set up to boot from your usb first. You change that in the BIOS. On a Dell machine it’s usually F2, Toshiba is F1 or ESC, HP is F1 or F2, and IBMs usually require you to go to Start, Programs and then Thinkpad CFG to start up in the BIOS. Simply installing the .iso on a usb will not work (I found this out the hard way). I followed the instructions here (http://www.ubuntu.com/download/help/...ick-on-windows) to create a usb install. You can then choose to wipe your entire HDD or dual boot if you wish. I hope this helps with your question. Good luck.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

From experience, I would strongly advise AGAINST simply wiping Win7 -- until you have at least TRIED Ubuntu on your PC and confirm it works OK.

Once you get the booting working, choose the Try Ubuntu option and see how well it detects your hardware and installs working drivers. This gives you a chance to get solutions to driver problems BEFORE you wipe out Win7. That way, when you do install Ubuntu, you have a better chance of it working well.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans
    Distro

i did manage to get it working i had to format the usb there was a boot loader issue , but i think i have a server install for i cant turn off my system it shuts down and it logs off but sits at the ubuntu screen with the tower still running

Beans
    Distro

i did format the usb but i think i downloaded a sever install for i cant shutdown

Beans
    Distro

how do i mark this a solved im trying to find the solved button but cant find it

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Malo Kingi View Post
    Gogur, you have to first make sure your system is set up to boot from your usb first. You change that in the BIOS. On a Dell machine it’s usually F2, Toshiba is F1 or ESC, HP is F1 or F2, and IBMs usually require you to go to Start, Programs and then Thinkpad CFG to start up in the BIOS. Simply installing the .iso on a usb will not work (I found this out the hard way). I followed the instructions here (http://www.ubuntu.com/download/help/...ick-on-windows) to create a usb install. You can then choose to wipe your entire HDD or dual boot if you wish. I hope this helps with your question. Good luck.
    i had to format the store bought usb from ubuntu.com and reload it with the boot loader the store bought usb was missing . i got together with a freind who helped me determine my usb was incomplete ?

its all good now im running ubuntu12.10 on entire disk

now i just ned the shut down file my system wont shut down