Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: laptop won start from USB stick

Beans

Re: laptop won start from USB stick

it should be necessary to use wired. you could try downloading a normal .iso then, but i dont know how well that will store in ram (using the live mode of your 10.10) but try it!

for your hardware, i would recommend xubuntu for a lighter choice which is also not demanding on graphics. it can be made to look like almost anything.

Beans

Thanks,

to be sure, I need to download the first (PC (Intel x86) desktop image)
    from this site and then use SDC to create the startup stick?

But, will that solve the problem of not booting?
    I believe the computer ouldl run from the stick now, as long as it would boot.
    The normal image file hasn't the same problem,you think?

http://releases.ubuntu.com/quantal/

Beans

get the 12.04 version as it is a long term support and meant to be more stable. or here is xubuntu which is lighter and more appropriate for your hardware. then use startup disk creator to make the usb stick bootable.

your booting problem seems to be a bios issue. are you saying that the F12 key (or whichever it is for your computer) doesnt list the usb stick as an option? you need to plug in the usb stick before switching on the computer.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by black veils View Post
    get the 12.04 version as it is a long term support and meant to be more stable. or here is xubuntu which is lighter and more appropriate for your hardware. then use startup disk creator to make the usb stick bootable.
    your booting problem seems to be a bios issue. are you saying that the F12 key (or whichever it is for your computer) doesnt list the usb stick as an option? you need to plug in the usb stick before switching on the computer.
    The stick is semi-permanently fixed to the laptop.
    Before, I used it for Readyboost.

But it doesn't show up under f12, no.
    I can access it, and it shows up in SDC,, as you can see.

I will try the xubuntu-link.

Thanks again.

Beans

before you make the stick, maybe try opening gparted or disk utility and selecting the usb stick (make sure it is the right drive), and create new partition table, just in case it is corrupted and not being fixed by startup disk creator. in disk utility i think you only see the option of format drive/volume, no mentioning of partition table.

Beans

before you make the stick, maybe try opening gparted or disk utility and selecting the usb stick (make sure it is the right drive), and create new partition table, just in case it is corrupted and not being fixed by startup disk creator. in disk utility i think you only see the option of format drive/volume, no mentioning of partition table.
    Gparted, where can I find that?

BTW, the download went straight to the location I downloaded something to before, without promting.
    I assumed it would douwnload to the 'download-folder', because I had no choice.
    But no, it had to be the HDD with not enough space.
    I got a warning, but it won stopdownloading.
    We'll see...

Beans

gparted may not be on the disc, so you will have to use disk utility.

strange it is not in the downloads folder, maybe it is in the main live disc user folder, it wont be on the hard drive or usb stick.

i have been trying to think of a way for you to get a system installed with the current limitations: outdated ubuntu cd, possible inability to boot from usb stick on that computer, cant make another cd/dvd because you are using the drive, cant use mini.iso as an installer as you have no wired internet - that seems likely to be an issue with any installer though, as it wont necessarily have the right driver support for your wireless.

is there no way you can fix the vista to create ubuntu disc etc?

Edit:
    i am daft, for two reasons, one you said you just want to run a system from usb stick which makes me think you know the hdd died. two, you can buy a disc from here http://www.osdisc.com/index.html
    Last edited by black veils; March 8th, 2013 at 11:03 PM.

Beans

gparted may not be on the disc, so you will have to use disk utility.
    strange it is not in the downloads folder, maybe it is in the main live disc user folder, it wont be on the hard drive or usb stick.
    i have been trying to think of a way for you to get a system installed with the current limitations: outdated ubuntu cd, possible inability to boot from usb stick on that computer, cant make another cd/dvd because you are using the drive, cant use mini.iso as an installer as you have no wired internet - that seems likely to be an issue with any installer though, as it wont necessarily have the right driver support for your wireless.
    is there no way you can fix the vista to create ubuntu disc etc?

If I could fix the Vista.........

I found Disc utility,
    Screenshot USB-Stick Utilities.png
    and that was were Gparted was also!
    Screenshot USB Stick Gparted.png
    I told you I know nothing.

The file downloaded to a different Hard Disc Drive.
    I downloaded some things to that disc earlier, but then I was offered a choice where to download to.
    Not so this time.

It seems I need to have windows running, when I read this:
    http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/usb
    Also that it will take 4.5 GB?!?
    Which puts a stop to everything!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by fotoflex View Post
    If I could fix the Vista.........

I found Disc utility,
    Screenshot USB-Stick Utilities.png
    and that was were Gparted was also!
    Screenshot USB Stick Gparted.png
    I told you I know nothing.

The file downloaded to a different Hard Disc Drive.
    I downloaded some things to that disc earlier, but then I was offered a choice where to download to.
    Not so this time.

It seems I need to have windows running, when I read this:
    http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/usb
    Also that it will take 4.5 GB?!?
    Which puts a stop to everything!
    use gparted to right-click the /dev/sdb1 and unmount, then in menu >> device >> create partition table, click apply.
    when done, right-click the unallocated space and choose 'new', choose FAT32 in the appropriate selector, ok it, then click apply.

now use startup disk creator to make the usb stick bootable with your new file. you need to browse to the file and make sure it is highlighted in the main window.

i would say try unetbootin (which can be used on Windows or Linux), but i dont think it will install on the outdated 10.10.

if i were you i would just order a live cd.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

A full install takes about 4.5GB but then you do not have any space for updates.

If you can install grub to the flash drive, you can directly boot ISO without extracting them with grub2's loop mount. I use that on my Flash drives as then I can have more than one repair ISO and install ISO one one flash drive. Bit more complex as unetbootin or pendrive generally just work.
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair - Updated Mar 2015:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast