Thread: Is there a driver for HP Pavilion 64 Bit built in sound card?

Beans

Is there a driver for HP Pavilion 64 Bit built in sound card?

I cannot get sound to operate on my HP Pavilion dv6 laptop. I recently upgraded from 10.04 to 12.10 but I am not sure that is the problem. I don't recall having sound with 10.04 either. Obviously I have not been using Linux much, at least not enough to recall if the sound worked. My dream is to get up to speed well enough with Linux to wean myself from MS. I just hate when they reshuffle the file system with every new version.

Looking at past posts and sound problems with HP Pavillions, it appears that the problem goes back several years. Furthermore, it seems that no one has ever written a driver for this particular Intel board sound device. I hope I am wrong about this because if no one has come up with a driver for it by now, the CPU is about 3 years old, it is doubtful any one will in the future either. In short, I have yet to find a post with this problem that has a ferry tale happy ending.

I have tried the simple stuff in trying to make the sound work, like checking the volume and if it is muted, uninstalling and reinstalling the volume control program but with no success.

Is anyone familiar with this particular problem or does anyone have suggestions.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Is there a driver for HP Pavilion 64 Bit built in sound card?

Googling gives a vast number of hits, among others this one:
    http://thisismyeye.blogspot.com/2012...upgrading.html
    About problems due to upgrading
    Bringing old hardware back to life.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts

Beans

I choose Ubuntu based on what I read about it, that was the 10.04 ver. Then recently upgraded to 12.10. I didn't realize an update in Ubuntu is almost like a new OS. I thought it was more similar to a MicroHard service pack. I like the idea of trying things from a boot disk first though. I tried the solution suggested in http://thisismyeye.blogspot.com/2012...upgrading.html but it did not seem to work. I am not familiar with changing config file in Ubuntu and so maybe did something wrong in the terminal window, didn't save it correctly or something.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Please post the exact steps you tried and the result for each step.
    About problems due to upgrading
    Bringing old hardware back to life.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts