I cannot get sound to operate on my HP Pavilion dv6 laptop. I recently upgraded from 10.04 to 12.10 but I am not sure that is the problem. I don't recall having sound with 10.04 either. Obviously I have not been using Linux much, at least not enough to recall if the sound worked. My dream is to get up to speed well enough with Linux to wean myself from MS. I just hate when they reshuffle the file system with every new version.

Looking at past posts and sound problems with HP Pavillions, it appears that the problem goes back several years. Furthermore, it seems that no one has ever written a driver for this particular Intel board sound device. I hope I am wrong about this because if no one has come up with a driver for it by now, the CPU is about 3 years old, it is doubtful any one will in the future either. In short, I have yet to find a post with this problem that has a ferry tale happy ending.

I have tried the simple stuff in trying to make the sound work, like checking the volume and if it is muted, uninstalling and reinstalling the volume control program but with no success.

Is anyone familiar with this particular problem or does anyone have suggestions.