Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: How to file a bug when the pc is frozen?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    New Hampshire, U.S.A.
    Beans
    2,542
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    How to file a bug when the pc is frozen?

    Runs along fine for 15 minutes or an hour or two then screen freezes. Ctrl-Alt-F1 screen goes to black with a non-blinking underline at top left corner.

    DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
    DISTRIB_RELEASE=13.04
    DISTRIB_CODENAME=raring
    DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu Raring Ringtail (development branch)"
    Linux Aspire1 3.8.0-11-generic #20-Ubuntu SMP Tue Mar 5 20:33:22 UTC 2013 i686 i686 i686 GNU/Linux

    Intel Corporation Atom Processor D4xx/D5xx/N4xx/N5xx Integrated Graphics Controller

    HP 20" LED 1600x900

    Nothing in /var/crash.

    Nothing useful in Xorg.0.log

    .xsession-errors last two lines:

    (update-notifier:1988): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_mount_can_eject: assertion `G_IS_MOUNT (mount)' failed
    (update-notifier:1988): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

    no idea if these lines are relevant.

    Any ideas or suggestions or how to file a bug when the pc is frozen solid?

    Whoops, happened again this morning, browsing plus apport trying to report a bug then wham everything froze no Ctrl-Alt-F2.
    .xseesion-errors:
    ** (gnome-screensaver:1803): WARNING **: screensaver already running in this session
    (update-notifier:1990): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_mount_can_eject: assertion `G_IS_MOUNT (mount)' failed
    (update-notifier:1990): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
    (update-notifier:1990): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_mount_can_eject: assertion `G_IS_MOUNT (mount)' failed
    (update-notifier:1990): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
    ** (nm-applet:1605): WARNING **: (nm-access-point.c:357):nm_access_point_connection_valid: runtime check failed: (ap_freq > 0)
    (process:2194): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_slice_set_config: assertion `sys_page_size == 0' failed

    /var/crash:
    whoopsie 8165002 Mar 8 08:06 _usr_bin_compiz.1000.crash

    Let me see if apport can file a bug....+bug/1152605
    Last edited by jerrylamos; March 8th, 2013 at 02:34 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    New Hampshire, U.S.A.
    Beans
    2,542
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Question Re: How to file a bug when the pc is frozen?

    Whoops, 3.8.0-11 froze again. Rebooted now in endless "logon" "enter password" loop.

    Recovery mode same thing. "enter password", enter the password, repeat.

    I assume the install is screwed?

    This is LTS. Always have an LTS around....

    Any clue on how to get out of this?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    ExodusHair<Čubura
    Beans
    4,275
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: How to file a bug when the pc is frozen?

    Quote Originally Posted by jerrylamos View Post
    Whoops, 3.8.0-11 froze again. Rebooted now in endless "logon" "enter password" loop.

    Recovery mode same thing. "enter password", enter the password, repeat.

    I assume the install is screwed?

    This is LTS. Always have an LTS around....

    Any clue on how to get out of this?
    Did You try creating .xinitrc and using startx(xinit)?
    Where do You get stuck?

  4. #4
    dino99's Avatar
    dino99 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Nux Jam
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: How to file a bug when the pc is frozen?

    Looks like you have a mix of glibc packages (genuine+ppa), as i remember having seen a change about "g_mount_can_eject: assertion " a few days ago.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    New Hampshire, U.S.A.
    Beans
    2,542
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: How to file a bug when the pc is frozen?

    Quote Originally Posted by zika View Post
    Did You try creating .xinitrc and using startx(xinit)?
    Where do You get stuck?
    I'm running along with some Firefox tabs open when suddenly the screen stops, except for cursor.

    If I do a Ctrl-Alt-F2 I can log in and do a
    sudo startx
    which gets me right back where I was.
    I did a find on raring 3.8.0-11 for .xinitrc and didn't find any.

    Ubuntu wiki says something about
    sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start
    I think raring is using lightdm?

    I didn't get anywhere doing
    sudo service lightdm restart
    or any combination of such commands.

    Right now raring is stuck in login "enter password" password "enter password" password ...... ad nauseum. BTW, it's supposed to log in automatically.

    I'm doing a zsync for a re-install....it's a March 7 install updated daily since. linux images have been changing one after another.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    ExodusHair<Čubura
    Beans
    4,275
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: How to file a bug when the pc is frozen?

    Quote Originally Posted by jerrylamos View Post
    I'm running along with some Firefox tabs open when suddenly the screen stops, except for cursor.

    If I do a Ctrl-Alt-F2 I can log in and do a
    sudo startx
    which gets me right back where I was.
    I did a find on raring 3.8.0-11 for .xinitrc and didn't find any.

    Ubuntu wiki says something about
    sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start
    I think raring is using lightdm?

    I didn't get anywhere doing
    sudo service lightdm restart
    or any combination of such commands.

    Right now raring is stuck in login "enter password" password "enter password" password ...... ad nauseum. BTW, it's supposed to log in automatically.

    I'm doing a zsync for a re-install....it's a March 7 install updated daily since. linux images have been changing one after another.
    startx is not supposed to be used with sudo. You've now closed the door to use it without sudo. If You want to use it without root level, erase .Xauthority in ~...
    To use startx(or xinit) You have to create .xnitrc or .Xsession and put there what You want to start in X...

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    New Hampshire, U.S.A.
    Beans
    2,542
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: How to file a bug when the pc is frozen?

    Quote Originally Posted by jerrylamos View Post
    I'm running along with some Firefox tabs open when suddenly the screen stops, except for cursor.

    Right now raring is stuck in login "enter password" password "enter password" password ...... ad nauseum. BTW, it's supposed to log in automatically.

    I'm doing a zsync for a re-install....it's a March 7 install updated daily since. linux images have been changing one after another.
    Something must have gotten screwed up. Did a new zsync and a new install ran for a couple hours O.K.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Beans
    6

    Re: How to file a bug when the pc is frozen?

    Nothing here answers the original question, "How to file a bug when the pc is frozen?"

    Somewhere there should be information on where or how to file a bug aside from running an application on the system containing a bug!

    If you can answer the question, please answer it.<snip>
    Last edited by cariboo; April 16th, 2013 at 06:04 AM. Reason: removed disrespectful comment

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Williams Lake
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: How to file a bug when the pc is frozen?

    Quote Originally Posted by thomassisson View Post
    Nothing here answers the original question, "How to file a bug when the pc is frozen?"

    Somewhere there should be information on where or how to file a bug aside from running an application on the system containing a bug!

    If you can answer the question, please answer it.<snip>
    If you want an answer to your question, without discussion, this may not be the place for you. Ask Ubuntu is the place to go, if you have no interest in discussion.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •