Thread: sudo apt-get install gnome*

Beans

sudo apt-get install gnome*

I got ubuntu 13.04 on my laptop which got a 1024x600 screen, the unity bar on the left hand side ruins many sites and annoys the hell out of me, I truly do miss the windows startmenu + everything at bottom + I can easily see that other windows are behind the window I'm currently viewing.

So I did sudo apt-get install gnome-desktop, it didn't do anything at all as far as I could tell so I did a sudo apt-get install gnome* to see if I was missing anything... and then I got _EVERYTHING_ so now it runs some disgusting blue looking thing that I hate even more at 1 fps. so I did ctrl+alt+f1 and logged in and wrote sudo apt-get remove gnome* and now I got no desktop...

Where do I go from this awful place to a desktop that looks the most like windows(when it comes to the start-menu & keeping _everything_ at bottom)?

And is there any way of putting the terminal / synaptic / firefox or other ubuntu programs to the desktop? (I am a shortcut person.. shortcuts are supposed to be on the desktop)

Thanks in advance!
    - Harry
    Last edited by injisera; March 12th, 2013 at 12:17 PM.

Beans

Re: sudo apt-get install gnome*

Seriously???
    Ubuntu/unity is based on the GNOME desktop.

You ran sudo apt-get remove gnome*
    and your wondering why you have no desktop.
    Code:
    $ sudo apt-get remove gnome*
    The following packages will be REMOVED:
      account-plugin-aim account-plugin-facebook account-plugin-flickr account-plugin-google
      account-plugin-identica account-plugin-jabber account-plugin-salut account-plugin-twitter
      account-plugin-windows-live account-plugin-yahoo activity-log-manager-control-center alacarte
      apturl brasero brasero-cdrkit compiz compiz-gnome cuttlefish deja-dup deja-dup-backend-gvfs
      deja-dup-backend-ubuntuone empathy eog evince evolution-data-server firefox-gnome-support
      gambas3-gb-desktop gcalctool gdebi gdm gir1.2-gdata-0.0 gir1.2-gmenu-3.0
      gir1.2-gnomebluetooth-1.0 gir1.2-gnomedesktop-3.0 gir1.2-gnomekeyring-1.0 gir1.2-goa-1.0
      gir1.2-rb-3.0 gir1.2-soup-2.4 gir1.2-totem-1.0 gir1.2-totem-plparser-1.0 gir1.2-webkit-3.0
      gkbd-capplet gksu gnome-accessibility-themes gnome-applets gnome-applets-data gnome-bluetooth
      gnome-calculator gnome-contacts gnome-control-center gnome-control-center-data
      gnome-control-center-signon gnome-control-center-unity gnome-desktop3-data gnome-disk-utility
      gnome-font-viewer gnome-games-data gnome-icon-theme gnome-icon-theme-symbolic gnome-keyring
      gnome-mahjongg gnome-media gnome-menus gnome-mines gnome-orca gnome-panel gnome-panel-data
      gnome-power-manager gnome-screensaver gnome-screenshot gnome-session gnome-session-bin
      gnome-session-canberra gnome-session-common gnome-session-fallback gnome-settings-daemon
      gnome-shell-common gnome-sudoku gnome-system-log gnome-system-monitor gnome-terminal
      gnome-terminal-data gnome-tweak-tool gnome-user-guide gnome-user-share gnomine
      gnomishbeige-theme gstreamer0.10-plugins-good gstreamer1.0-plugins-good gvfs-backends gwibber
      gwibber-service gwibber-service-facebook gwibber-service-identica gwibber-service-twitter
      humanity-icon-theme i-nex ibus ibus-pinyin ibus-table indicator-bluetooth indicator-datetime
      indicator-power indicator-session language-pack-gnome-en language-pack-gnome-en-base
      language-selector-gnome libbonoboui2-0 libbrasero-media3-1 libebackend-1.2-5
      libedata-book-1.2-15 libedata-cal-1.2-18 libfarstream-0.1-0 libfarstream-0.2-2 libfolks-eds25
      libgdata13 libgksu2-0 libgnome-bluetooth11 libgnome-control-center1 libgnome-desktop-3-4
      libgnome-keyring-common libgnome-keyring0 libgnome-media-profiles-3.0-0 libgnome-menu-3-0
      libgnome2-0 libgnome2-bin libgnome2-canvas-perl libgnome2-common libgnome2-gconf-perl
      libgnome2-perl libgnome2-vfs-perl libgnome2-wnck-perl libgnomecanvas2-0 libgnomecanvas2-common
      libgnomekbd-common libgnomekbd8 libgnomeui-0 libgnomeui-common libgnomevfs2-0
      libgnomevfs2-common libgnomevfs2-extra libgoa-1.0-0 libgweather-3-1 libgwibber-gtk3 libgwibber3
      libp11-kit-gnome-keyring libpam-gnome-keyring libpurple0 libreoffice-gnome librest-0.7-0
      librhythmbox-core6 libsoup-gnome2.4-1 libsyncdaemon-1.0-1 libtelepathy-farstream3
      libtotem-plparser17 libtotem0 light-themes lightdm-remote-session-uccsconfigure
      mcp-account-manager-uoa metacity nautilus nautilus-open-as-root nautilus-sendto
      nautilus-sendto-empathy nautilus-share network-manager-gnome network-manager-pptp-gnome oneconf
      opera policykit-1-gnome python-gnomekeyring python-ubuntu-sso-client
      python-ubuntuone-control-panel rhythmbox rhythmbox-mozilla rhythmbox-plugin-cdrecorder
      rhythmbox-plugin-magnatune rhythmbox-plugin-zeitgeist rhythmbox-plugins rhythmbox-ubuntuone
      seahorse shotwell shutter signon-keyring-extension simple-scan software-center ssh-askpass-gnome
      system-config-printer-gnome telepathy-haze telepathy-mission-control-5 thunderbird-gnome-support
      totem totem-mozilla totem-plugins ubuntu-artwork ubuntu-desktop ubuntu-mono
      ubuntu-release-upgrader-gtk ubuntu-sso-client ubuntu-sso-client-qt ubuntu-tweak ubuntuone-client
      ubuntuone-client-gnome ubuntuone-control-panel ubuntuone-control-panel-qt unity unity-asset-pool
      unity-greeter unity-lens-applications unity-lens-photos unity-lens-shopping
      unity-scope-musicstores unity-scope-video-remote unity-tweak-tool update-manager update-notifier
      webaccounts-extension-common xul-ext-webaccounts y-ppa-manager
    Try to restore with
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop
    and to be able to choose a gnome2 like session at the greeter...
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install gnome-panel
    Will add 2 entries to the session menu
    gnome classic.....uses compiz as the window manager.
    gnome classic(no effects).....uses metacity as the window manager.

In unity you can just drag applications from the dash on to the desktop.
    Last edited by stinkeye; March 12th, 2013 at 10:41 AM.

dino99 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

@Harry,

you should have tell us which video hardware is used, and some details about your installation: 32/64 bits, which DE used (gnome-classic, unity, ...), and how have you installed ubuntu : thats the minimum to get usefull help.

As you already have used scary commands removing the whole part of your installation, i'm not sure you'll be able to repair it; but you could try anyway:
    - boot in recovery mode: hold "shift" key down at the bios end process to get the grub (bootloader) menu
    - select the second line (recovery mode)
    - select & activate the network
    - select "try to repair" line (or so, i dont remember how exactly its named)

if you get the system repaired, then reboot normally, and you will be able to get around the video issue.

Beans

I'm sorry I didn't give any more information, I thought it was not necessary because I was fairly certain that some simple sudo-writing would fix it, which it did, THANKS ALOT stinkeye!

Beans
    Distro

I got ubuntu 13.04 on my laptop which got a 1024x600 screen, the unity bar on the left hand side ruins many sites and annoys the hell out of me, I truly do miss the windows startmenu + everything at bottom + I can easily see that other windows are behind the window I'm currently viewing.

So I did sudo apt-get install gnome-desktop, it didn't do anything at all as far as I could tell so I did a sudo apt-get install gnome* to see if I was missing anything... and then I got _EVERYTHING_ so now it runs some disgusting blue looking thing that I hate even more at 1 fps. so I did ctrl+alt+f1 and logged in and wrote sudo apt-get remove gnome* and now I got no desktop...

Where do I go from this awful place to a desktop that looks the most like windows(when it comes to the start-menu & keeping _everything_ at bottom)?

And is there any way of putting the terminal / synaptic / firefox or other ubuntu programs to the desktop? (I am a shortcut person.. shortcuts are supposed to be on the desktop)

Thanks in advance!
    - Harry
    I'm using Unity on netbook(1024x600) with unity launcher is set to autohide and i can live with it.
    Clearly, Unity or Gnome-shell is not for you, based on your preferences. If you want something like windows xp-ish with start menu, applications shortcuts on the desktop and tasklist/taskbar on the bottom panel, then, I suggest you to try xubuntu or lubuntu. Or if you want something eyecandy and more modern desktop, you can install cinnamon desktop:

Code:
    ~❯ apt-cache search cinnamon
    cinnamon - Innovative and comfortable desktop
    cinnamon-common - Innovative and comfortable desktop (Common data files)
    cinnamon-dbg - Innovative and comfortable desktop (Debugging symbols)
    gir1.2-muffin-3.0 - GObject introspection data for Muffin
    libmuffin-dev - lightweight window and compositing manager (development files)
    libmuffin0 - lightweight window and compositing manager (shared library)
    muffin - lightweight window and compositing manager
    muffin-common - lightweight window and compositing manager (data files)
    muffin-dbg - lightweight window and compositing manager (debugging symbols)
    ~❯ sudo apt-get install cinnamon
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    The following extra packages will be installed:
      cinnamon-common gir1.2-accountsservice-1.0 gir1.2-clutter-1.0 gir1.2-cogl-1.0 gir1.2-coglpango-1.0
      gir1.2-gconf-2.0 gir1.2-gdesktopenums-3.0 gir1.2-gkbd-3.0 gir1.2-json-1.0 gir1.2-muffin-3.0 gir1.2-polkit-1.0
      gir1.2-upowerglib-1.0 gir1.2-xkl-1.0 gjs libgjs0c libmozjs185-1.0 libmuffin0 muffin-common
    The following NEW packages will be installed:
      cinnamon cinnamon-common gir1.2-accountsservice-1.0 gir1.2-clutter-1.0 gir1.2-cogl-1.0 gir1.2-coglpango-1.0
      gir1.2-gconf-2.0 gir1.2-gdesktopenums-3.0 gir1.2-gkbd-3.0 gir1.2-json-1.0 gir1.2-muffin-3.0 gir1.2-polkit-1.0
      gir1.2-upowerglib-1.0 gir1.2-xkl-1.0 gjs libgjs0c libmozjs185-1.0 libmuffin0 muffin-common
    0 upgraded, 19 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    Need to get 5,985 kB of archives.
    After this operation, 20.3 MB of additional disk space will be used.
    Do you want to continue [Y/n]?
    Last edited by serdotlinecho; March 12th, 2013 at 01:18 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Code:
    sudo apt-get install gnome-panel
    Will add 2 entries to the session menu
    gnome classic.....uses compiz as the window manager.
    gnome classic(no effects).....uses metacity as the window manager.
    In unity you can just drag applications from the dash on to the desktop.
    2 thoughts:
    1. How much different is this than Gnome Remix? I suspect a lot with unity lurking in the background...

2. I've got a couple 16:9 displays, either 1366x768 or 1600x900 depending on which test pc I'm on, so I've got a lot more width to spare than height.
    I'd rather lose some space sideways than up and down.

Actually with "Appearance > behavior > hide" most of the time I don't lose width either.

I've also got a test pc with 1280x1024 so I might rather lose height on that one.

What I do mind is loss of all the applets with very handy "applications" "system" and "preference" applets. Maybe I can try gnome-panel vs. gnome remix when/if I get energetic. Since gnome-remix seems to be getting some energy I might try it on a spare partition. Now if I had a handy "internet video" benchmark.....

Running gnome I delete the bottom panel so I have a top gnome panel which with my chosen applets is a WHOLE lot more useful than Unity's top panel with no way to put chosen applets up there, as far as I know....
    Last edited by jerrylamos; March 12th, 2013 at 01:43 PM.

Beans

In order for me to get cinnamon, do I have to do "sudo apt-get remove ubuntu-desktop" and then write "sudo apt-get install cinnamon"?

(I rather ask than try... don't want to walk in the dark again)

dino99 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

you already have marked that thread as SOLVED, thats good, so dont spam it with something else: open a new thread into the good subforum: general or updates; here its only for testing u+1, and not about basic questions.

In terms of this topic itself, it would be a reminder to not blindly run commands on your machine. For example, if hundreds of packages are about to be removed, it might be worth considering what those packages are and mentally asking "Hm, should this be purging a ton of important stuff" before hitting Enter...