Thread: Raring: Sandisk 8 GB sdhc card is now read only.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Raring: Sandisk 8 GB sdhc card is now read only.

Weird thing happened today. It semms that my sandisk 8 gb sdhc card decided to become read only. Prior to this happening I was able to copy and paste anything from the sandisk to the hdd. The only thing I did today was install the Mar. 7th daily iso for ubuntu 13.04. When I attempted to copy .mozilla from sandisk it refused to. Fortunately I have another backup so I reinstalled 12.10 and used gparted to delete sandisk partition and create a new one...now I have a blank sandisk and get a read only message when I try to copy anything to it. So how do I get this sandisk to allow me to read to it again. I did try changing permissions, but it wouldn 't give me permission.

Henry
    Ubuntu 13.10 64 Bit
    Hp Envy m6-1225dx Notebook.
    8 Gb Ram 750 Gb Hdd. Uefi Secure Boot.
    3rd Gen. Intel i5 2.6 Ghz Dual Core.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Raring: Sandisk 8 GB sdhc card is now read only.

Moved to Ubuntu + 1

What hardware? My SD cards consistently get out of wack on my MBA even in OS X because of a faulty controller or contacts, apparently it's a known-ish issue for MBAs, maybe your hardware has a similar issue. My solution was to check the switch and plug-replug the card in until it's recognized correctly.

(I assume you did check the hardware read-only switch on the SD card itself?)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Yep I checked the switch, and the funny thing was when I remounted it the folder icons were normal, until I tried to copy .mozilla from my ubuntu backup folder, then all of a sudden all my folders on the sd card had a "lock" emblem on them?

Henry
    Ubuntu 13.10 64 Bit
    Hp Envy m6-1225dx Notebook.
    8 Gb Ram 750 Gb Hdd. Uefi Secure Boot.
    3rd Gen. Intel i5 2.6 Ghz Dual Core.

Beans

I have a similar problem in that the SD card isn't mounting at all from what I can tell, at least df -h doesn't show it. Working on a HP Pavilion and wondering what the controller is supposed to be for the SD card slot. I upgraded the kernel to 3.9.0 but that didn't change anything. Any ideas and what lspci should show what for a SD card slot?