Thread: what the differance between Ubuntu and Kubuntu and Xubuntu and edubuntu and lubuntu

Beans

Talking what the differance between Ubuntu and Kubuntu and Xubuntu and edubuntu and lubuntu

Hi, I just want to know what the differance between Ubuntu and Kubuntu and Xubuntu and edubuntu and lubuntu, I dont know If i post this in the right places, sorry if I did.
    thanks

TenPlus1 is online now Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Re: what the differance between Ubuntu and Kubuntu and Xubuntu and edubuntu and lubun

The main difference is that each uses a different Desktop Manager... Ubuntu uses Unity, Xubuntu has XFCE, Lubuntu works with LXDE, Kubuntu has KDE... In the end it's down to personal taste or what your computer is happy working with, some lighter weight machines will happily use XFCE and LXDE where the higher spec computers will make use of KDE and Unity a lot more with the 3D effects...

Beans

Re: what the differance between Ubuntu and Kubuntu and Xubuntu and edubuntu and lubun

Oh, ok thanks for asking my question.

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

If you are currently running the Ubuntu-desktop (Unity) you can easily install the different desktops and see for yourself.

To install Xubuntu-desktop:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install xfce4 xfce4-goodies
    To install Lubuntu-desktop:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install lxde
    And you didnt mention Gnome_Classic. Its the old style desktop of 10.04 days (for those of us that know change is bad

Code:
    sudo apt-get install gnome-session-fallback
    You can choose which desktop to run at boot (login).

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Us...ing_a_Terminal

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

More info on desktop environments here.

Edubuntu comes with many education related packages installed, and it uses Gnome.

Beans

ok, if i do that how can I get back to my ubuntu. Because I have made my own theme.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If you add various desktops to your Ubuntu install, the way to change between them is at the login screen.
    In the login screen in the box where your name and password go, is a little cog/ubuntu logo or something, click on it and select the different desktop environment/window manager you'd like to use.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

ok thanks everyone.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

If you would like to preview the various desktops first (rather then actually install them all) you can download isos for each one and run them in "live session" to see what they look like and if you find one that you prefer over standard ubuntu w/unity then you could either add it (as described above) or re-install the preferred desktop version (using the live iso session) over what you have now...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

There is a good intro to what a DE is on the Mint forums...
    http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopi...=54945#p314893
    Cheesemill