Thread: Loud Fan

Threaded View

Beans

Exclamation Loud Fan

Greetings everyone.
    So i just made the transition from Windows 7 to Ubuntu last night(First time using Linux), and although evrything is working smoothly for the most part, i have a bit of a problem: My Latop fan seriously won't STFU!! Last night i thought it might have been due to the installation it went through and not turning it off for a few hours after, so i turned it off hoping it would resolve itself this morning. Well it didn't. As soon as i turned it on it's extremely loud and it only gets louder when i open up any apps. I tried shutting off a few starup program to see if it made a diffencr but it didn't. I'm also not doing anything heavy, or anything for that matter; it just constantly stays at that high speed causing it to be loud. Prior to last night i was running Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and it ran smoother and the fan was rarely ever hearable. The only times it would become loud was when i watched Netflix for an hour or so or played GTA4. Is there anything i can do to 'fix' this? I like Ubuntu so far but this is kind of discouraging and i REALLY don't want to go back to Windows.

Here's some system specs: Sony Vaio E series(Not sure of model # but the computer is less than 2 months old, it was build when ordered in late January.) Intel® Core™ i7-3632QM CPU @ 2.20GHz × 8 cores 16 gigs of RAM Ubuntu 12.10 64 bit Radeon HD 7600M Series 1 TB HD

Is it possible i should be running the 32 bit version? System monitor shows no sign of heavy CPU or RAM usage. Someone help please!! Thanks. EDIT********* So i tried these two: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...45#post9197545 http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=56323 I think they're esssential the same thing, though. Didn't make a difference. However, the page where i'm asked for my encryption key is no longer there during boot-up. Now there's just a black screen with text asking for it.
    Last edited by sandyd; March 7th, 2013 at 06:58 PM. Reason: title&otherthings