Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu slow

Hybrid View

Beans

Ubuntu slow

This happens some times when I am in Firefox and doing something in Libreoffice computer slows
    down after a while the page where I am greys up the Hard Disk led keeps flashing meaning
    hard disk action, stays on these conditions until restart computer. Other times just going Dash Home and open an application takes long time, an window opens with “Sorry, Ubuntu 12.04 has experienced an internal error”
    Thinking what could be the fault and has I have Clamtk I decide to scan, on the end got an long report
    wish as 57 files all infected with PUA.win32 (this is for Windows) Windows with Virtualbox only, the report has Quarantine and Delete, dint click nothing but try to copy as usual but cant be copied, so I decide to ask for help, I think this is the reason for Ubuntu problem. What should I do to clean this files and computer?
    Thank you

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Ubuntu slow

I am not sure about your problem , but clam antivirus gives lots of false alerm ..... , I had some performance issue using firefox ... i just activated default theme then my problem solved

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by lumaja View Post
    This happens some times when I am in Firefox and doing something in Libreoffice computer slows
    down after a while the page where I am greys up the Hard Disk led keeps flashing meaning
    hard disk action, stays on these conditions until restart computer. Other times just going Dash Home and open an application takes long time, an window opens with “Sorry, Ubuntu 12.04 has experienced an internal error”
    Thinking what could be the fault and has I have Clamtk I decide to scan, on the end got an long report
    wish as 57 files all infected with PUA.win32 (this is for Windows) Windows with Virtualbox only, the report has Quarantine and Delete, dint click nothing but try to copy as usual but cant be copied, so I decide to ask for help, I think this is the reason for Ubuntu problem. What should I do to clean this files and computer?
    Thank you
    What are the machines specifications?

Beans

Mother board
    Gygabyte G41M-Combo
    Ubuntu
    Release 12.04 (precise) 32-bit
    Kernel Linux 3.2.0-38-generic-pae
    GNOME 3.4.2
    Hardware
    Memory: 966.4 MiB
    Processor: Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5400 @ 2.70GHz x 2
    System Status
    Available disk space: 143.1 GIB

Summary of infected files:
    In Directory My Videos
    Few in My Pictures
    Few in Cannon (my camera instructions fies)
    Few in directory IMPORT BANK (this must be a very bad one)
    One in directory Home/Windows Data/kyo.zip (not unzipped)
    One mozilla/firefox/--------/chrome/forecasfox.jar
    Penty in clamav-0.97.6/test/------------------/clam-exe. (others)

Plenty From PENDRIVE

My worry is the first group, the kyo.zip I can delete it Windows game for my wife
    but the rest are quite important I ask again how to clean this from hard disk. This is
    one of the very top reasons I gave up Windows, after I read much how good Ubuntu
    is about this subject, I am on the some boat.
    I receive notification having 29 files Update Ubuntu, must I carry-on with this update
    with all this virus?
    I appreciate if some could supply this answers.
    Thank you

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Mother board
    Gygabyte G41M-Combo
    Ubuntu
    Release 12.04 (precise) 32-bit
    Kernel Linux 3.2.0-38-generic-pae
    GNOME 3.4.2
    Hardware
    Memory: 966.4 MiB
    Processor: Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5400 @ 2.70GHz x 2
    System Status
    Available disk space: 143.1 GIB

Summary of infected files:
    In Directory My Videos
    Few in My Pictures
    Few in Cannon (my camera instructions fies)
    Few in directory IMPORT BANK (this must be a very bad one)
    One in directory Home/Windows Data/kyo.zip (not unzipped)
    One mozilla/firefox/--------/chrome/forecasfox.jar
    Penty in clamav-0.97.6/test/------------------/clam-exe. (others)

Plenty From PENDRIVE

My worry is the first group, the kyo.zip I can delete it Windows game for my wife
    but the rest are quite important I ask again how to clean this from hard disk. This is
    one of the very top reasons I gave up Windows, after I read much how good Ubuntu
    is about this subject, I am on the some boat.
    I receive notification having 29 files Update Ubuntu, must I carry-on with this update
    with all this virus?
    I appreciate if some could supply this answers.
    Thank you
    I don't think virus in windows files will have any affect on Ubuntu (can anyone please confirm this)

According to this wiki page, your system requirements are fine, but even with 3GB RAM I feel lag while using Unity 3D. Since your RAM is pretty low, I'll suggest you to try Ubuntu 2D (you can choose it before entering password on Login Screen).

If you still feel lag and slow system, try installing XFCE4 and LXDE as your desktop environments, you'll surely see some improvements. (try XFCE4 first)

Also Please don't install lubuntu-desktop or xubuntu-desktop instead of LXDE and XFCE4.
    Please install plain-vanilla lxde and xfce4
    To install LXDE:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install lxde
    To install xfce4:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install xfce4
    Last edited by c2tarun; March 8th, 2013 at 11:21 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

what graphics card/chip do you have?
    Code:
    lspci | grep VGA
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans

-G41M-Combo:~$ lspci | grep VGA
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)

Should I install the waiting Ubuntu update?
    Thank you

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

-G41M-Combo:~$ lspci | grep VGA
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)

Should I install the waiting Ubuntu update?
    Thank you
    Yes, it can't hurt.

Also, you do not have a virus on Ubuntu. Maybe on Windows, but it won't affect Ubuntu. Also, viruses rarely cause slowdown even on Windows.

Have you checked the SMART statistics for your hard disk? Open the Disk Utility program and click on your disk, then click SMART Data. Any little red lights indicate a problem.

If there's no problems reported there, you could try running IOtop. In the terminal, type:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install iotop
    sudo iotop
    When you start having the problems where the disk is being used a lot and the windows go grey, have a look at the window where IOtop is running, and see if there's a program consistently at the top of the list DURING THE PROBLEM. If there is, then please let us know what it is.

To quit IOtop, press Q or close that window.

You could also run Memtest from the GRUB boot menu to check your RAM. Run it for eight hours. If there are any errors, any errors at all, you have bad RAM that may be causing the problem.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

Since you have just 1GB of RAM, it could also be that the system starts to use swap a lot, especially when you run such memory hungry applications as Firefox and LibreOffice at the same time.

Try running this in terminal when your system begins to slow down to see how much memory is used and if it uses swap:
    Code:
    free -m

Beans

Thank you 3rdalbum and Laobi for your responses.
    To 3rdalbum
    I did checked SMART immediately and the results are:
    Self Assessment: Passed
    Self-tests: Completed OK
    Power cycles: 3012
    Bad Sectors: (Green) Disk is healthy.
    The list compromise of:
    Some with green, others with black N/A.
    I got more adventure and Run Self-test
    Choose Short (default)
    After starting to run it stopped with red X Cancel Self-test
    I dint install iotop yet first send this to you.
    To I will free -m after this, another clever idea.

Again Thank you very munch.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast