Thread: Dell Inspiron 15-3521, Fan Problems

Beans

Dell Inspiron 15-3521, Fan Problems

Hey Ubuntu Geeks
    I´ve got a big problem with ma new Inspiron 15! The fan runs really silent in Windows 7 and Windows 8.
    But in Ubuntu 12.04 and 12.10 it runs at max power! I don´t know why but the Dell Support told me it´s a problem at Ubuntu.
    Hopefully you guys can help me out

Nils

Beans

Re: [DELL INSPIRON 15-3521] Fan Problems

I have the same problem....and I know that is problem with Ubuntu 12.10!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Dell Inspiron 15-3521, Fan Problems

Just got the Dell black friday Inspiron 15, 3521 i3. Installed Ubuntu 12.04 after 10 minutes with Windows 8 . Got my wireless working from another thread, but the fan noise is driving me nuts. Fan kicks on about every 5 minutes and my cpu temp is only 40-42. I'm sure its not overheating.

I see a lot of talk about this problem, possible bios issue, but haven't seen any real solutions. Anyone figure this out?

[Edit] Found this link that hopefully addresses the issue; I'm gonna give it a try.
    http://keenformatics.blogspot.it/201...issues-in.html
    Last edited by zeusrock1; December 7th, 2013 at 04:29 PM.

Beans

Re: Dell Inspiron 15-3521, Fan Problems

Quote Originally Posted by zeusrock1 View Post
    Just got the Dell black friday Inspiron 15, 3521 i3. Installed Ubuntu 12.04 after 10 minutes with Windows 8 . Got my wireless working from another thread, but the fan noise is driving me nuts. Fan kicks on about every 5 minutes and my cpu temp is only 40-42. I'm sure its not overheating.

I see a lot of talk about this problem, possible bios issue, but haven't seen any real solutions. Anyone figure this out?

[Edit] Found this link that hopefully addresses the issue; I'm gonna give it a try.
    http://keenformatics.blogspot.it/201...issues-in.html

I believe most people who are having the fan issues with the Inspiron 3521 are the ones with the i5 processor which is equipped with the ATI Radeon graphics cards. I have the Pentium processor which--like the i3-- uses the integrated graphics. I haven't had any issues with 12.04 with fan issues. It fan runs quiet (if not silent/off) when it is idling or when web browsing. Video content such as YouTube is running moderately, sometimes it is running at full blast when it gets too warm but shuts off when it is cool again. Most BIOS drivers are Windows only, but if you can get your hands on it then try to update to the latest BIOS. Something that should have been done as soon as you switched to 12.04