Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu Touch Comments & Suggestions

Beans

Ubuntu Touch Comments & Suggestions

Hi,

Obviously I'm really excited about Ubuntu Touch and with that I created a list of random ideas that I hope will be present when it is released.

- First I hope we can customize the functionality of each side of the screen. I mean for me I want to have the Launcher/Unity bar at the right since I'm a right-hand person. Although this will be more beneficial for smartphones(only those you can hold in one hand ) than tablets.
    - It'll be great if we can play games in side-stage even just the casual games. We can just rotate the tablet and browse the net while playing for example online poker. That's nice
    - Ubuntu Tweak Screen edge - it could be an overkill for smartphones but for tablets it could be useful specially for example an outward swipe at the lower right edge of the screen will show all the open apps.
    - Ability to do forward and backward in switching apps. You can't just swipe 9 times just to go back to the first app from the second app when you have ten open apps. That's ain't practical
    - Some sort of Smart Cover...I'm not sure if it's patented by Apple but imagine you can partially open your tablet and you can use your tablet just by using the side-stage. Good for quick tasks such as reading messages,tweets, or even a quick Google search
    - Dock Ubuntu Phone to a Docking Tablet - I don't how I'll call it but what I mean with the Docking Tablet is it's basically just a screen where you can dock your smartphone at the back and voila you have yourself an Ubuntu Tablet! Also the "Docking Tablet" will have it's own battery so you can prolong the battery life. Just like what Canonical is saying, "One platform for all your screens" now it'll be " One Device for all your needs" ...err something like that

Anyways, that's pretty much all I have in mind right now. How about everyone? You'll never know, Canonical might hear even just one of our request or ideas ;0

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Ubuntu Touch Comments & Suggestions

Canonical is not designing or specifying new hardware. The hardware is already out there and Canonical has given not just proof of concept but has shown that it is well on the way to delivering a User Interface that will bring together desktop, phone, tablet, and TV in one look (almost). A lot of work still has to be done.

A lot depends on the OEMs and what they want to bring to market. I am sorry if it upsets you but you are too late with some of your ideas. Canonical has got in first. Or are you an Apple director claiming to have already patented or copyrighted these ideas?
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

I know this a long time ago already but I just want to say that you don't get my post. I was trying to say my ideas based on the features that Canonical already revealed. I'm sorry to upset you but I'm not claiming anything and I'm actually sharing. I read again my post and until now I like my ideas...well maybe it's mine lol

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I like your ideas
    Funny how
    Canonical is not designing or specifying new hardware.
    turned out to be somewhat wrong.

Beans

I am not a geek like most of you but a simple end user who is not satisfied with the mobile environment offered by Android, Windows & iOS. So bear with my stupid questions.

1. Once Ubuntu touch OS becomes fully live in Oct 2013, will it be possible to install it in any Android phone?

2. What would be the minimum hardware requirement for installing Ubuntu touch in an Android phone?

3. Since it is gesture based OS, will there be any limit for minimum bezel requirement, specially at the left & right edges?

4. Apart from CAG & Ubuntu Edge campaign, do we have any news about commitment from any manufacturer to produce any Ubuntu touch based phone?

I am no expert but an anxious Ubuntu lover. It can be safely assume that Ubuntu Edge campaign will miss the target and there would be no Ubuntu Edge. Looking at the present mobile scenario, it is apparent that convincing any manufacturer to back Ubuntu touch won't be an easy task.

Samsung is leading Android brigade, Sony has finally tasted success with Android, Nokia is in bed with Microsoft just like Motorola is with Google & HTC which is a adventures manufacturer is struggling. So that leave us with smaller/less committed players such as Asus, Panasonic etc. However, mobile industry is as much dependent on hardware as it is on Software. Screen resolution, camera quality, sound quality, LTE capability all are equally important parameters. Hence it is imperative to get a quality manufacturer on board.

But, we do not have any news regarding this. So IMHO the most easy way out seems to jump into any good Android phone and install Ubuntu Touch in it. But is it as easy as I think ?

Please clear my doubts.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by manoj2214 View Post
    1. Once Ubuntu touch OS becomes fully live in Oct 2013, will it be possible to install it in any Android phone?
    The only officially supported devices are the Galaxy Nexus and the Nexus 4, 7 and 10. It's up to the community to port Ubuntu Touch to other devices, you can see the current list of devices with community ported images here...
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/Devices

2. What would be the minimum hardware requirement for installing Ubuntu touch in an Android phone?
    http://www.ubuntu.com/phone/operators-and-oems
    Cheesemill

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesemill View Post
    The only officially supported devices are the Galaxy Nexus and the Nexus 4, 7 and 10. It's up to the community to port Ubuntu Touch to other devices,
    This is the present situation. Will it improve after October 2013?

Another basic question -

Like Ubuntu desktop which can be installed in any PC, why can't Ubuntu Touch be installed in any Android ?

Beans
    Distro

It will improve in that the community will have ported Ubuntu Touch to more devices, but I doubt whether Canonical will add any more current devices to the officially supported list.

Ubuntu Touch isn't being designed to be a user installable OS (although you can do it), it's designed to be an OS that manufacturers put on their phones in the factory before selling them.

Like Ubuntu desktop which can be installed in any PC, why can't Ubuntu Touch be installed in any Android ?
    Hardware drivers. If the correct drivers aren't made available by the manufacturer or reverse-engineered by the community then Ubuntu Touch is useless. It's theoretically possible to install it on any Android devices but if their are no drivers for the screen/touchpad etc then you just have an expensive paperweight.
    Cheesemill

Beans

Do we have any inside information about commitment from any OEM for Ubuntu Touch? Ubuntu Edge had a pretty good crowd support and hence it should have pulled atleast one manufacturer into the board. Hope, Canonical would pull something out of the hat when they make Ubuntu Touch fully live in October. Do you believe that OEMs are waiting for the final version to shape up before making any commitment? Initially, Android too did not have many manufacturer on board.

Anyway, I have two queries in this regard:

1. Once Ubuntu Touch shaped up, how difficult it would be for a manufacturer to design a device suitable for both OS. I am not talking about installing both OS on a single phone but two different phones with two different pre loaded OS with similar design so as to cater to both markets. Android market is too lucrative for any of the existing OEM to ignore. So at best it can be expected that initially, Ubuntu Touch will play a second fiddle and OEMs may not push for a dedicated device for this OS.

2. Android devices have capacitive buttons. Once the UT is installed will this buttons go away ? Because in a gesture based OS, buttons will look odd.

Guys, please pour in some information regarding the above queries. TIA.

Beans

Suggestions:

1) Get rid of that crappy web browser - it is missing so many features (flash, redirection, etc, etc) that it is not very useful.
    2) Where is the video player? Can't find it. And how do we add codecs to it so we can play everything?
    3) Why can't I have full Ubuntu running on a monitor using an MHL connector and bluetooth mouse/keyboard? That's what was promised in the Canonical video, as well as dual-booting Android and capturing Android data. When will that be available? (that is the one and only reason I bought a Nexus 4 phone in the first place.)
    4) Is anyone developing a more robust email client that can work with other well-known web-mail installations? Needed is Outlook.com integration and Yahoo Mail integration. Being able to configure it to use POP and IMAP would be good too (though obviously it would only be able to hold onto a rotating window of content because of space constraints.)
    5) How do I port my contacts from my iPhone and/or Andoid to my Ubuntu phone? What about VCF support? (Contacts file format, for emailing contact info)
    6) iMessage and What'sApp support - must haves to integrate universal messaging.
    7) A MUCH better app-store application. All I can find is the "recommended" apps section on the applications page. We need to have an app which connects to the Ubuntu app-store, and allows sorting, searching by name, searching by keyword (in descriptions and meta-tags), category browsing, etc. Think Google Play Store.
    8) Integration of Calenders between Google, Yahoo, Hotmail, and Outlook.com, and iCal file format support (for taking calendar entries, emailing them as attachments, and uploading them into the calendar).
    9) A file manager that supports several remote connection types, like Samba client, AFS client, NFS client, etc. Should be seamless after setting up the connection.
    10) The ability to add and remove favourite apps from the "Home Scope" page.
    11) Nesting app icons in named groups - like iOS and Android.
    12) Customize look and feel, including icon sizes, text font and size, backgrounds, sounds used for various events, etc. Themes would be good too, but only as a starting point - applying a theme should not prevent changing individual items too.
    13) I can't get into the Bluetooth settings - is this a known problem? I want to add headsets, mice, keyboards.

That's it for now. I hope someone can answer some of my concerns or point me to where I can get information.

Thank you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast