Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Remove Broadcom STA wireless driver after unsuccessful installation

Beans

Re: Remove Broadcom STA wireless driver after unsuccessful installation

After trying the repair packages option in recovery mode, it looks like it recognized there was something wrong with bcmwl-kernel-source, as it tried to start uninstalling it. There was a lot of text, but eventually it hang at:

Code:
    [  121.959337] cfg80211:  (5735000 kHz - 5835000 kHz @ 40000 kHz), (300 mBi, 2000 mBm)
    I needed to reboot, as nothing seemed to happen or respond (i.e. I could type, but the process was not finished and it didn't do anything for more than half an hour).

Also, it didn't uninstall bcmwl-kernel-source (or it reinstalled it) and I'm still having the same problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

[ 121.959337] cfg80211: (5735000 kHz - 5835000 kHz @ 40000 kHz), (300 mBi, 2000 mBm)
    That's one of the messages that appears when the wireless card and driver meet and start determining what channels it can use. I didn't think cfg80211 was a dependency of wl. Is there another wireless device present? A USB perhaps? If so, remove it for now.

I suggest trying to get wl to absolutely not try to load and freeze up by renaming it:
    Code:
    modinfo wl
    ...will tell you the specific module being loaded; for example:
    chili@Think410:~$ modinfo wl
    filename: /lib/modules/3.5.0-25-generic/updates/dkms/wl.ko
    license: MIXED/Proprietary
    srcversion: 1C6A0B8B0000A8D58131D83
    <snip>
    Your location will probably be different, but use the exact location to rename the file:
    Code:
    sudo mv /lib/modules/3.5.0-25-generic/updates/dkms/wl.ko  /lib/modules/3.5.0-25-generic/updates/dkms/wl.bak
    Now go back to the repair packages option in recovery mode and see if you can succeed.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Ph.D.

Beans

Did as you said, however, it still hangs at the same point. This time I actually saw it say that the uninstallation was completed. After that it said something like:

Code:
    Loading new bcmwl-[some version number] DKMS files...
    ...and then again all the frequencies, eventually freezing at one of them.

Also, after that it had recreated the wl.ko file in the module folder.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Frankly, I have no further suggestions. I recommend you consider a fresh install.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Ph.D.

Beans

I think I'll reinstall then.

Thank you for the excellent support though!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12