Thread: Need a new wifi card.. looking at edimax EW-7711USN,

Beans

Need a new wifi card.. looking at edimax EW-7711USN,

need a new Wifi card that works out of the box on most Linux systems, I am looking at the edimax EW-7711USN, does this work out of the box? no need to install crap? if not, then what should i be looking at?
    http://wikidevi.com/wiki/Edimax_EW-7711USn
    Last edited by dux666; March 8th, 2013 at 12:47 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Need a new wifi card.. of some kind.

I have two that work out of the box. TrendNet TEW-649UB uses a RealTek 8192SU chipset, Netgear WNA1100 uses an Atheros AR9271 chipset. Do not make the mistake of thinking any Netgear adapter will work. Some Netgear models cannot be made to work with any amount of expertise. There are other models that work equally well, these are the ones I have experience with. I read somewhere that the Ralink RT2800usb module that drives your linked device works best on 12.10 and later. I have a device on the way that uses this chipset. I'll post if it's easy to get working.

I've posted in the past the Dlink's DWA-131 is plug 'n' play. Mine is, it's a twin of the TrendNet TEW-649UB. However there is a new version out that is not plug 'n' play so buying that model would be playing roulette; v.1x works, v.2 does not. I hate when manufacturers do that but it's common. Windows users probably don't notice the difference, linux users certainly do.
    Last edited by kurt18947; March 7th, 2013 at 04:05 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I have the edimax ew-7811un and it functions better than in Windows IF you install the updated Realtek drivers which is detailed how to do somewhere on the internet. On Windows its CRAP but in Ubuntu, once you install the Realtek drivers, just plug it in and it will function well. It will wake up from standby with no problem and be on when you log into Ubuntu (after every kernel update though I have to reinstall the driver which is annoying). One important note is that even though its dirt cheap being at $10, you must point it towards the router for it to function well. I am currently 1 floor away from my old Netgear wireless a/b/g router (7 yrs old ) and manage to get an average speed of 7mbps down, 2 up which gets the job done. I assume when I finally upgrade router to take advantage of its wireless N, things will be a lot better.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833315091
    Last edited by tjeremiah; March 7th, 2013 at 07:46 PM.
    Intel i5 Ivy Bridge 2.8Ghz (3.4Ghz Turbo), 64bit user, AMD GPU 7700 series

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Here are some Kernel supported hardware & drivers.
    http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Devices/USB

Beans
    Distro

I just received and installed this cheapie. It is not as good as the Edimax referenced by the O.P. but much to my surprise it was plug 'n' play. The Edimax needs the RealTek drivers.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2123313

Beans

Re: Need a new wifi card.. looking at edimax EW-7711USN,

can anyone tell me if the RT2870, RT3070 drivers are in ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro

Oops, I misread the O.P.s first post, sorry if I caused any confusion. The Edimax EW-7811Un uses a RealTek rtl8188CUs chip and requires the manufacturer's driver to work correctly. I don't know about the EW7711Un. I know the cheapie adapter I posted above uses a Ralink RT5370 chip and 'just works' in the latest Ubuntu releases, 12.04 and later. I do recall the RT3070 caused some issues a while ago but haven't read much about it lately so it's possible that those issues are in the rear view mirror.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Moved to Networking & Wireless

Hello and welcome to the forums!

If you are replacing a card anyway, you might look here..

You'll probably save some headaches that might be worth the few extra bucks you'll pay.

The RT28xx driver is included. Add it to your modules file and it will be loaded at startup. The other I don't know.

Best wishes!
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

it cost 100 for that wifi? why it cost so much? everyone else is 20.