Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 12.04 LTS, Toshiba Satellite L850, RTL8111/RTL8168 WiFi non existent.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: 12.04 LTS, Toshiba Satellite L850, RTL8111/RTL8168 WiFi non existent.

I hope I don't drive you nuts;
    Not at all. I enjoy what I do and I couldn't do it if there weren't questions.
    peredur@peredur-laptop:~$ dmesg | grep -i -e error -e warn
    [ 0.436572] pci0000:00: ACPI _OSC request failed (AE_ERROR), returned control mask: 0x1d
    [ 11.487594] rts5139: module is from the staging directory, the quality is unknown, you have been warned.
    [ 11.492101] ACPI Warning: 0x0000000000000460-0x000000000000047f SystemIO conflicts with Region \PMIO 1 (20120320/utaddress-251)
    [ 11.492114] ACPI Warning: 0x0000000000000428-0x000000000000042f SystemIO conflicts with Region \PMIO 1 (20120320/utaddress-251)
    [ 11.492122] ACPI Warning: 0x0000000000000500-0x000000000000053f SystemIO conflicts with Region \GPIO 1 (20120320/utaddress-251)
    [ 12.294694] EXT4-fs (sda2): re-mounted. Opts: errors=remount-ro
    Nothing relevant or even mildly alarming there.
    On a side note... can you explain "pipe," simply? Wikipedia's explanation is too dense for me.
    In the context of Linux/Unix, pipe or | means approximately to pipe the first command through the second command. In other words, run this command and use its output in the second command. If we asked for all the kernel messages with:
    Code:
    dmesg
    ...then we'd get 100 to 200 lines. But suppose we only want lines related to 'rtl'. We'd type:
    Code:
    dmesg | grep rtl
    Now, we'd see maybe ten lines and all would include rtl. Much more informative and easier to understand.
    Now, I assume that moving and renaming files using the CLI is, really, the same as if I did it using the GUI, right?
    Exactly.
    In the file properties can I mentally substitute the word "created" for "accessed?"
    Almost; in this context "accessed" really means "created or modified." So if you created a file last week called chili.txt and then changed it in some way today, the "accessed" date would change accordingly. For educational purposes, see the CLI version:
    Code:
    ls -lct /etc/modprobe.d
    What IS the meaning of the rts5139 line?
    It means the Realtek card reader driver is from the staging directory. When drivers are in the late stages of development, they are added to the kernel as 'staging.' They are staged to become mainstream but may contain a bug or two; not that all drivers may or may not contain a bug! This is just saying that the driver is almost ready but may have a wart or two; you have been warned. Again for information purposes, see:
    Code:
     modinfo rts5139
    If your card reader is working as expected, you may safely ignore the warning. If not, you are invited to file a bug report.
    Restarting now.... and we still have wireless. Good.
    As long as the hardware is working, I suspect you will have wireless. If the hardware takes Tuesday off as a sick day, you will not have wireless.

I look forward to your re-seating experiment. Dr. Chili advises all users to fiddle with the screwdriver with care and the manual at hand.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Ph.D.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Peredur111 View Post
    Hmmmm.... I'm having trouble accessing the BIOS. I'm not sure what F-key to press so I'm trying them all. Interestingly enough, when I use F1, F2 or F8 I can see, briefly, text that says, "error ...(doing something),... broken pipe...(something)." About 12 lines go by too quickly for me to see what's going on. But "broken pipe?" I don't like that. There must be a way to capture that text...
    The usual BIOS keys are DEL, ESC and F1. I wouldn't worry about the 'broken pipe' quite yet; perhaps it's related to pressing the wrong key to access the BIOS.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Ph.D.

Beans

This was my first time opening a laptop - I'm used to taking apart and rearranging towers, not laptops. Rather hair-raising, but I didn't break anything (well.... except for a minimum of little black plastic tabs - nothing that really held anything together). Finally figured out which bit was the wireless network controller. It seems to be in there nice and tight.

The wireless hasn't disappeared again yet. I suppose the card is failing. Or perhaps it needed a complete power-down instead of a restart.

There are still strange error messages flying by at startup and shutdown that weren't there before we started messing around, but I think I'll ignore them.

Maybe the BIOS was set to do some sort of fast restart, yesterday. It was starting up much more quickly (without any messages) before you had me reset it to defaults. So maybe the old standby method of fixing the computer (turn it off, turn it on again) was what got the wireless working.

Both my husband and I would like to thank you very much for all your help and explanations. Now I need me a dual-boot computer so I can learn more Unix! He wants his computer back now. Again, thanks, and why can't Wikipedia just say, "pipe runs the first command and uses its output in the second command?"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thank you for your kind comments.I'm glad it's working now.

Laptops are actually pretty straightforward. I've had one of mine apart down to the processor and it still runs fine today. If you want to see scary complicated, look under the hood of my friends BMW M3!!!
    Now I need me a dual-boot computer so I can learn more Unix!
    I hope you meant Linux. In my opinion, pure Unix is about dead. Its grandchildren are Linux, BSD and others are alive and thriving.

Beans

Thanx fot htis thread!
    My doughter will love you

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by czil View Post
    Thanx fot htis thread!
    My doughter will love you
    Is she cute? Does she like older men? Send her over!

Just kidding. I'm glad it's working. Have fun!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234