Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Freeze on black screen on boot, recovery will freeze too

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Freeze on black screen on boot, recovery will freeze too

I recently was mucking around with my graphics drivers on Ubuntu 12.10 (I have a Radeon HD 6950 and I was getting borderless windows and no lenses). After I rebooted, now Ubuntu will show the logo and the orange dots for a minute, then the screen will go black and everything will freeze. Not even the NumLock key changes any lights on my keyboard, and Ctrl+Alt+Delete does nothing.

When I run in recovery mode (by selecting Advanced Options for Ubuntu in the GRUB boot menu) I will get to the purple text Recovery Menu. If I Resume, I get the black screen described above. If I select Dpkg, then it will try to fsck on my Ubuntu partition and never finish (it will act like a command prompt with an unresponsive process, and when I hit Ctrl+Alt+Delete it will reboot just fine). If I try to Fsck it will run fsck and never finish. If I select Network it will run fsck and never finish (just like Dpkg).

However, if I select Root, I will get a shell prompt. And running fsck -f on my Ubuntu partition runs and finishes quickly, unlike the ones that the other Recovery Menu options try. Then I can mount my Ubuntu partition to get read/write access (using "mount /dev/sda# / -o remount,rw") because it only gives me read-only to start. And then when I run "ifconfig eth0 up" and "sudo dhclient eth0" I get Internet, and I can run apt-get to update things.

Okay, that's great, but I'm still not booting into a graphical interface. If I run "startx" then I will get the same black screen freeze described above. How do I repair my graphics drivers so that I can use my operating system again?
    Last edited by Thomar; March 7th, 2013 at 04:46 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Freeze on black screen on boot, recovery will freeze too

Try uninstalling the driver you installed before reboot.

Beans
    Distro

How do I know which one that is? I was just trying different things and wasn't paying too much attention to which.

EDIT: It might have been the AMD Catalyst drivers.

Isn't there a set of fallback or default drivers I can use?
    Last edited by Thomar; March 7th, 2013 at 04:55 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Thomar View Post
    How do I know which one that is? I was just trying different things and wasn't paying too much attention to which.

EDIT: It might have been the AMD Catalyst drivers.

Isn't there a set of fallback or default drivers I can use?
    Well if you were fiddling in terminal then great news there is a history command. Here is a tutorial for that.
    If you were fiddling with UI then you might give a shot by viewing /var/log/syslog file, it will store most of your system activities.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

For the list of installed packages there is also something /var/log/dpkg.log
    Try checking which were the packages installed and purge them

Beans
    Distro

Running the history command only shows me my root command history (stuff I've done from the recovery console).

The end of /var/log/syslog shows some stuff, but the only stuff from today is a time update and some IP6 messages.

Anything else I can do to get into a graphical interface? I hate using the command line, it reminds me too much of my day job.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Thomar View Post
    Running the history command only shows me my root command history (stuff I've done from the recovery console).

The end of /var/log/syslog shows some stuff, but the only stuff from today is a time update and some IP6 messages.

Anything else I can do to get into a graphical interface? I hate using the command line, it reminds me too much of my day job.
    Check out my last post about /var/log/dpkg.log
    And your day job required use of command prompt what do you do?

Beans
    Distro

--- double post
    Last edited by Thomar; March 7th, 2013 at 05:17 AM.

Beans
    Distro

I work at a job where I build hardware so expensive that I shouldn't be allowed to touch it if I'm making mistakes like these.

Looks like it was libgl1-mesa-glx (unless I read itwrong) but... When I ran "apt-get purge libgl1-mesa-glx" (which is wrong) it removed all sorts of packages it shouldn't have. I cancelled it, but it looks like it was going through things starting with "gnome-" at the time. That should have been "apt-get remove --purge libgl1-mesa-glx", right?

So is this the point where I should just reinstall?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

try running apt-get remove libgl1-mesa-glx
    This should remove the package. and then reboot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast