Thread: Why can't I edit my own post to my own thread?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Why can't I edit my own post to my own thread?

I have a thread http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1205372 in which, although I started the thread and I am logged in, I cannot edit my original post nor any of my posts from 2012 or earlier. I can edit a reply that I posted in 2013. Can someone explain (or point me to a discussion which explains) why I'm not able to edit my own posts? Is it based on the age of the post?

Finally, is there a work around so I can fix/update the information in my original post? Thanks!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Why can't I edit my own post to my own thread?

Capability to edit posts has a validity, I guess it was 7 days when you posted. Now its 60 days temporarily.

Beans
    Hidden!

Not only do we have a time limit on the ability to edit posts, we're encoraging people to move threads in "Tutorials and Tips" to the wiki.

Have a look here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2074191
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Distro

I'm not sure what you mean. The original post of mine that I want to edit is a few years old. Why can't I edit it? I have done so in the past, but I can't do so now.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by John Wiersba View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean. The original post of mine that I want to edit is a few years old. Why can't I edit it? I have done so in the past, but I can't do so now.
    We recently introduced a time limit on the ability to edit posts. This was done before the forum upgrade to help avoid spammers posting seemingly innocent material, and coming back later and modifying their posts. Not that I'm saying you're a spamer or anything......
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    My Blog

Beans
    Distro

Lisati, thanks for your reply.

So, if I want to update my post, what are my choices? In this case, I need to add more discussion around a particular point in my original post. It seems like the only choice available to me is to add another reply to the thread. But then someone reading my original post has to know to look for my additional reply, way down in the thread. In other words, they have to read the whole thread. Is there no way to alert someone reading my post to the presence of additional information without forcing them to read the whole thread?

In my particular case, see the last reply to the thread, made just today (or yesterday). He's asking me to update my original post to cover an issue he's encountered. How can I do that?

Beans
    Hidden!

Your tutorial was created back in 2009. It might be a good time to create a wiki page with an up-to-date version, and link to the wiki page in your thread.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    My Blog

Beans
    Distro

Ah, now I see in your previous reply that you are asking me to move my tutorial to one of the wikis so that I can edit it. Maybe I'll get around to it one of these days...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

You could also just create a new post, quoting the post you want to comment on.