Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Prob with several Games

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Prob with several Games

I am very new to Gaming on Ubuntu and so I have listed the problems that I am facing with several games.

Open Arena :
    Working fine

Alien Arena :
    No response

Urban Terror :
    Keyboard stops working, there is always a square box near the shooter's hand of about 3cm x 3cm in 800x600 resolution. Do not know how to play it in stand alone version.

Counter Strike Condition Zero :
    How can we install it ?

Quake :
    Missing data; see /usr/share/doc/quake/README.Debian

Quake 3 Arena :
    Use game-data-packager to build and install the quake3-data package.
    You will need these two files:

--------------- baseq3/pak0.pk3

From a Quake III Arena CD-ROM or installation

size: 479493658 bytes
    md5sum: 1197ca3df1e65f3c380f8abc10ca43bf
    sha1sum: 9d588ea65e92944d3e23eeb6ec08f1dd666f4658
    sha256sum: 7ce8b3910620cd50a09e4f1100f426e8c6180f68895d589f80 e6bd95af54bcae

--------------- linuxq3apoint-1.32b-3.x86.run

From any mirror of ftp.idsoftware.com, Gentoo or FreeBSD: for instance try
    http://www.filewatcher.com/m/linuxq3...23961.0.0.html

size: 30923961 bytes
    md5sum: c71fdddccb20e8fc393d846e9c61d685
    sha1sum: 802d84af0d515db50a496c4c55d1f1c4f40a9239
    sha256sum: c36132c5556b35e01950f1e9c646235033a5130f87ad776ba2 bc7becf4f4f186

If possible help

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Prob with several Games

what are your system specs?
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans

Well quake games are commercial so you need original data files from disc (or if you have digital copy, take pk3-files from install folder). Counter Strike CZ: Install Steam and play, it's native linux: http://store.steampowered.com/app/80/
    Last edited by 1204; March 7th, 2013 at 02:54 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Beans
    Distro

Actually I am new to these terms what is this Dark places ? I am interested in Urban Terror but not able to ubderstand what is going wrong with it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 3dmatrix View Post
    Actually I am new to these terms what is this Dark places ? I am interested in Urban Terror but not able to ubderstand what is going wrong with it.
    We are not wizards, please at least provide your system information: cpu, gpu, ram, ubuntu version, 64 or 32 bit, what urban terror version you have etc.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Post Re: Prob with several Games

Do you have the graphics drivers installed for your graphics card? Any time you have an issue with several games, it usually comes down to the graphics driver being at fault. If you just installed Ubuntu, and haven't done anything else then we can safely assume you are running off the Open Source graphics drivers. While these are great for some games, they are in no way up to par in terms of performance that the official drivers from AMD and Nvidia offer.

It's always best to make sure that first you have the right graphics drivers installed. Then we can delve deeper and trouble shoot the specific problems you have with each game. For Counter Strike Condition Zero, you will need to purchase the game from Steam. If you don't have Steam installed, you can get it for FREE from the Ubuntu Software Center. Can't find the Ubuntu Software Center? Just hit your Windows-key on your keyboard and search for "Software", and you'll find it

Not sure what your graphics card is? Open a Terminal and Enter this:
    Code:
    sudo lspci | grep -i vga
    Below is a simple guide on installing the proprietary graphics drivers for your system, if you haven't done so. I make no assumption to what your hardware is, except that it is NOT Optimus or AMD Hybrid graphics. If you're using a laptop/notebook/netbook, then don't follow this guide just yet. Share with us your system information first.

---------------------------
    NOTE: before trying to install the drivers like below, please update Ubuntu and do the following to keep yourself safe from experiencing problems later on.

Open a Terminal and input this:
    sudo apt-get install linux-headers-generic

Hit enter, and when it asks for your password just put it in and hit Enter again. It may ask [Y/n], just hit "y" and Enter again. Now you're ready to follow the below instructions.
    ---------------------------

In Ubuntu's Dash, search for System Settings. On the top right select the "Additional Drivers" tab.

If you're using an AMD/ATi card, make sure that you have fglrx-updates or I think it's now called post-release driver selected. Then hit Apply Changes and restart your computer.

If you're using an Nvidia card, make sure you have the 310 drivers selected (will be called experimental-310, you can try experimental-304 too). Then hit Apply Changes and restart your computer.

If you're using an Intel Integrated graphics card, then you shouldn't have to do anything. It should already be installed automatically.

Hopefully this helps you, but this might not be the issue you're having either. I personally use the Nvidia 310 experimental drivers, and can play all my games at 1080p with full settings.

If you could help list your graphics card Vendor Name and model that would be great (e.g Nvidia GTX 680 or AMD/ATi HD7970).

P.S: If you don't know how to find the Terminal, just open Ubuntu's Dash and search for 'Terminal' without the quotes.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by 1204 View Post
    We are not wizards, please at least provide your system information: cpu, gpu, ram, ubuntu version, 64 or 32 bit, what urban terror version you have etc.
    I am sorry for my ignorance. I am just a normal Ubuntu 'user'. It would have been nice if you had given me some codes that I could enter to check all the specs and tell you. For example i was not able to figure out details of my GPU, till 'myromance123' told me those codes.

Ubuntu 12.04 32 bit Gnome
    CPU : Intel Pentium B950 2.1GHz x 2
    RAM : 2 Gb
    GPU : VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)

Beans
    Distro

Thank you so much for the info. I have posted some details of my sys config in the earlier post.
    Does that help or you would like to know more details of my system ?

Beans
    Distro

Prob with several Games

I am able to run Urban Terror to some extent. I have attached some snapshots.
    I am interested in playing in a stand alone version. Is it possible ? If so how ?
    If I start server it seems i am the only one moving around in the system like a ghost seems it is only for local network.
    If i try to play on internet then i am not shown any list of servers.
    But I would still like to play stand alone - if possible.
    Any other suggestion ?

What about the other games that are not working ?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast