Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 39 of 39

Thread: Prob with several Games

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Beans
    529
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Prob with several Games

    Quote Originally Posted by myromance123 View Post
    Glad you got it working

    Yes you can. Just click Single Player, and you'll jump into a game with bots.
    Yes i tried that and i do jump in to a game but 'without anyone else there' I just move around like a ghost collecting weapons

    Can you kindly tell me if there is any security issue in online gaming ? If so what precautions we should take and how to choose a good and safe server ?

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Beans
    53

    Re: Prob with several Games

    Also Enemy Territory (youtube) is nice game and works perfectly on your pc. http://filebase.trackbase.net/et/ful...b.x86_full.zip

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Malaysia
    Beans
    643
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Prob with several Games

    Quote Originally Posted by 3dmatrix View Post
    Yes i tried that and i do jump in to a game but 'without anyone else there' I just move around like a ghost collecting weapons

    Can you kindly tell me if there is any security issue in online gaming ? If so what precautions we should take and how to choose a good and safe server ?
    That's very strange! I tested Alien Arena once more to see if I did anything differently, but I haven't. It should be, you click Singleplayer then choose a difficulty (I chose Easy) and it loads the map. Then you auto-spawn, and theres a 25 second time wait before the match starts. After that, it's go time and bots appear automatically. I honestly don't know why you have no bots, unless the version of Alien Arena in 12.04 is an older version.

    I have Alien Arena version 7.65 in Ubuntu 12.10 (you can see the game version in the USC under "More info"). I do have PlayDeb installed, which might be why my version of Alien Arena is the latest.

    Here's the link to PlayDeb:
    http://www.playdeb.net/welcome/

    Here's the link to Alien Arena on PlayDeb:
    http://www.playdeb.net/software/Alien%20Arena

    There should not be any sort of security issues when gaming online, I assure you it's very safe
    Especially since you're playing from Ubuntu, which is a Linux distro.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Beans
    529
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Prob with several Games

    Quote Originally Posted by myromance123 View Post
    That's very strange! I tested Alien Arena once more to see if I did anything differently, but I haven't. It should be, you click Singleplayer then choose a difficulty (I chose Easy) and it loads the map. Then you auto-spawn, and theres a 25 second time wait before the match starts. After that, it's go time and bots appear automatically. I honestly don't know why you have no bots, unless the version of Alien Arena in 12.04 is an older version.
    Yes it works exactly like that but there are no bots and also it is not able to display the list of servers for online play. Which port / service do i need to open in my firewall ?

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Malaysia
    Beans
    643
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Prob with several Games

    Quote Originally Posted by 3dmatrix View Post
    Yes it works exactly like that but there are no bots and also it is not able to display the list of servers for online play. Which port / service do i need to open in my firewall ?
    If you're playing Singleplayer with bots, you don't need to open any ports. This is because you're playing a game locally, not through a router. There really should be bots automatically. Are you sure you have version 7.65 installed?

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Beans
    529
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Prob with several Games

    Quote Originally Posted by myromance123 View Post
    If you're playing Singleplayer with bots, you don't need to open any ports. This is because you're playing a game locally, not through a router. There really should be bots automatically. Are you sure you have version 7.65 installed?
    I will check the version and inform you.
    I know for single player we do not need to open ports but for online gaming ?

    In Urban Terror it some times says Ping too high, what does that mean ? There is always a long list of servers how can we make out which server is better or the level of players ? How can i save a few server's links (favourites) and keep joining any of those servers instead of searching from the long list every time ?

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Malaysia
    Beans
    643
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Prob with several Games

    Quote Originally Posted by 3dmatrix View Post
    I know for single player we do not need to open ports but for online gaming ?
    I've been playing Alien Arena for quite some time, but I've never had to open ports for online gaming. You should be fine without opening any ports.

    The only time you'll really need to open a port, is when you want to host a dedicated server.

    In Urban Terror it some times says Ping too high, what does that mean ?
    This means the server is too far away from you, and your connection to it is bad. You will lag if you join the game.

    There is always a long list of servers how can we make out which server is better or the level of players ?
    The word "Ping" on the top right corner of the server list is clickable. Click it, and it will show you servers which have low ping. These servers are the ones you'll have the best connection on, hopefully with minimal lag.

    How can i save a few server's links (favourites) and keep joining any of those servers instead of searching from the long list every time ?
    This is very easy. Highlight one of the servers in the list by clicking it once, then at the bottom there's a text that says "Add To Favourites". This will add that particular server to your favourites list.

    Now, to join a server you've favourited there's another Text below that says Source: Internet. Click that until it says Source: Favourites. Now you should be able to see all your favourited servers.

    I hope that helps a bit

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Beans
    529
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Prob with several Games

    Thats a nice explanation Thanx !
    Do we have any good car racing or flight combat game for Ubuntu ?
    Like Need For Speed ?

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Malaysia
    Beans
    643
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Prob with several Games

    You're welcome

    Do we have any good car racing or flight combat game for Ubuntu ?
    Nothing like Need For Speed, but there are quite a few racing games you can look into.

    Speed Dreams: Link
    RC Mini Racers: Link
    Vdrift: Link

    I'm not sure about flight combat games. Last flight combat game I played was on PS1

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •