Thread: Vexed by modem-router conflict (I think...)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Vexed by modem-router conflict (I think...)

Here's the basic problem: We run four computers behind a Level One (WBR-6002) wireless router and an Arris (Comcast) modem.

We might tool along for a couple of days or a week but our internet connection inevitably crashes. I go through the rigamarole of rebooting both router and modem for 30 minutes or several hours before they manage to sync up (??), all the lights come back on and we're connected to the internet again. Also note -- when the router crashes, I can get on the net by bypassing the router and plugging my pc directly into the modem, so the signal from Comcast is there.

I read about a solution to this problem and tried it -- reset the mac address as a copy of the pc mac address. All the router lights came on and we were in business -- except for my wife's Windows 7 laptop, which shows the SSID of our home network but tells us we have no internet, even when the other computers are connected.

Besides the Win 7 machine, two computers run Ubuntu 12.10, and the other one runs Windows 8.

My question: is there a better way to configure the router, or do I need a new router? If so, are any known to work with the Comcast Arris modem?

I guess another thought, too is that we switched to Comcast to get the 20 mbps speed. We never had any problems when our speed was only 1 mbps. Are we overwhelming the router?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Vexed by modem-router conflict (I think...)

I replaced the Level One router with a Cisco Lynksys E900, and the problem disappeared.