Thread: Lemur Ultra Volume

Hybrid View

Beans

Lemur Ultra Volume

Hi-
    Just got a Lemur Ultra and i'm pretty disappointed in the volume range. I had it set on the highest level of volume while watching a DVD and it still wasn't quite sufficient.
    Any suggestions? External speakers or sound card, perhaps?

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Lemur Ultra Volume

Personally, I don't like the sound coming out of integrated speakers on most devices so I'd suggest getting external speakers.
    But, Linux is not Windows. It can easily go above "100%" volume. For example, if you open Sound Settings from the Sound menu, you will notice that Output Volume can go higher than 100% (153%), if you want to go even higher (480%) you can install a tool called paman, it will let you crank the volume up to 480%.
    Note, you can also crank up individual Application volume, so you can theoretically go up to 2304%. But, be warned, that the more you go above 100%, the higher the chance of distortion appearing.

Also, I'd recommend modifying the Application volume instead of the global volume, I wouldn't want to crank it up quite a bit then in the middle of a quiet-ish movie get called in Skype and be deafened.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linus Torvalds
    "Most good programmers do programming not because they expect to get paid or get adulation by the public, but because it is fun to program."