Thread: ubuntu crashed bad and i desperately need the files inside, PLEASE HELP

Beans

ubuntu crashed bad and i desperately need the files inside, PLEASE HELP

i apologize, i am not trying to bypass searching for the answer to my question but i am not the most computer savvy person out there. any help, even just linking to some posts that deal with this problem would be appreciated. basically what happened is that my laptop got shut while a video was playing. later, when restarted for the first time since being closed, all i get is a purple screen if i try to start ubuntu normally. i tried loading in safe mode and tooling around with the command prompt, but i know nothing about the commands. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: ubuntu crashed bad and i desperately need the files inside, PLEASE HELP

Put the Ubuntu CD inside your computer, and choose "Try Ubuntu". You'll boot from a Live Session, and most probably be able to get your files back!

Beans

awesome, thank you. i am going to try that literally as soon as i finish this reply.

Beans

ok, i have loaded the trial ubuntu but it is showing none of my files. i know my way around computers but i am in no way a programmer, but with that said here it what i am thinking is going on.

a video was playing when my laptop got closed, however it also got the battery and power pulled from it(dont ask why, it was a fight with someone over something ridiculous). i was reading the wubi guide at this link:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide

if i am understanding this guide correctly, i am guessing i totally corrupted ubuntu's ability to operate. now the guide also says that i can copy the root.disk, reinstall ubuntu, and retrieve my files.

am i on the right track? i sure hope so, because i am in MAJOR trouble if i cannot get to these files. this is not like "i lost important college papers" trouble, more like "i just lost my job" trouble.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Have you tried mounting the root.disk file from a Live CD?
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide#Ho...on.27t_boot.3F
    If your root.disk file is intact then this should let you recover your files.

If your root.disk file is corrupted, then your only option is to restore your files from your most recent backup.
    Last edited by Cheesemill; March 7th, 2013 at 03:48 PM.
    Cheesemill

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

See http://askubuntu.com/q/228709/14916

I'd first run the chkdsk shown there. Then you might still want to fsck the root.disk from the live CD.