Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: security an ubuntu

Beans

security an ubuntu

Hey guys I'm getting tired of W7 an I put dual booted ubuntu 13.04 64 bit an I use ubuntu for only facebook web browse an online banking an was thinking if 12.10 is better and or is 13.04 the same an I'm I safe or do I need a firewall or anything else I need to stay safe I really love ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: security an ubuntu

Take a look at the basic security page on the Ubuntu wiki...
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BasicSecurity

Also 13.04 hasn't been released yet, so it is only really recommended for people who are testing it and ironing out the bugs (as well as those who enjoy living on the bleeding edge). Using the development release of Ubuntu you should be prepared for your system to break and for you to have to put some work in to fix it when it does.
    Cheesemill

Beans

So I should go with 12.10 or 12.04

Beans

Thanks guy sorry to be a pain but I love ubuntu and trying to find a better OS then windows 7 or 8

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

12.04 LTS has support for 5 five years so it depends if you want the latest software or not . The interim releases have a shorter support life span. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans

Hi. I am just curious. But what happens when end of life is reached?
    Is the operating system no longer supported with kernal releases, for example?
    Or is there an option to upgrade to a newer Ubuntu without having to re-install an entirely new Ubuntu such that everything gets wiped out (just upgrading to new release, for example)?

Beans

So now now I'm just wondering if I should either go to 12.10 or 12.04 I like distro but I remembered that I bought a MP280 Canon Printer and could get it to print but I couldn't use simple scan so if I choose 12.10 and I notice it expires 2014 April will there be a distribution upgrade.

I hope so I really love Ubuntu very easy OS and so much easy to run then Windows and after seeing W8 I said that it I'm looking likely to go Ubuntu and start supporting you guys. You guys have done a great job from creating this OS to creating a great forum with quick replies.

Beans

install ScanGearMP on Canon MP280 ubuntu

Hi Gordie

I remembered that I bought a MP280 Canon Printer and could get it to print but I couldn't use simple scan
    ............Canon supply a scanner programme called ScanGearMP so that you can use the scanner

you can download it from here

http://support-asia.canon-asia.com/c...100302702.html

it comes down as scangearmp-mp280series-1.60-1-deb.tar.gz

If you want install instructions, please start a new thread; but post back here saying you have done it, and I can give you the install instructions; ScanGearMP will run on any ubuntu version
    Last edited by pdc; March 8th, 2013 at 05:05 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

@Gordie: I suggest you have a look at the support section of Canon's website to locate tools specific to your device made by Canon.

If you want to start a new thread, go to the main page of the forum, http://ubuntuforums.org, navigate to the most appropriate section, and click on the "Post new thread" button.
    Last edited by lisati; March 8th, 2013 at 01:06 AM.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Hidden!

Since you've asked about which version of Ubuntu you should run, why choose one? For stability and long-term support, install 12.04, and in another partition install whatever later version you'd like to try: 12.10 or the upcoming 13.04 for now, for example. If you get to feeling confident with the stability and reliability of a later version, you can always upgrade the 12.04 version if you want to - or maybe just leave that partition alone, just in case - while you use the later version as much as you'd like.

On my laptop, I have 12.04 installed in case I need it, and I keep it updated, but I also have 12.10 installed and I really use it much more. Lately, though, and I wouldn't really encourage this, but I have the pre-release 13.04 for testing - and that's what I use most of the time. (Yeah, it's for testing so if you try this you shouldn't be surprised to find bugs, but I have really been impressed with how solid and stable it is. So far. Tomorrow things may be different, but I'm ready for that.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast