Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: security an ubuntu

Beans

Re: security an ubuntu

Thanks guys for info I went to 12.04 lts for my distro never thought on 13.04 on security of not being a release candidate

Beans

Thanks I had the 13.04 on and wasn't that many bugs an my new video card even worked

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by gordie69 View Post
    Thanks I had the 13.04 on and wasn't that many bugs an my new video card even worked
    Raring has been fairly stable through the development cycle, but there are always times during the dev cycle, where you need to do some troubleshooting, which means knowing your way around terminal commands, and how to properly report bugs.

The way most of us do it, is to have a stable install that we can fall back on if the development version breaks to the point where it isn't usable. I currently have an Ubuntu Gnome installation, that keeps crashing, until it runs out of ram, then it reboots, and starts the crashing problem all over again. This installation is totally unusable as it is now, and I know the reason why, and it may be that the only real fix, is a total re-installation.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gordie69 View Post
    I use ubuntu for only facebook web browse an online banking
    I suggest you dump windows-when you're comfortable with ubuntu. I dumped windows in May 2011, and have only booted into it once (by accident)...my dual boot laptop booted to windows by default because I wasn't paying attention when it asked me to open windows or Ubuntu.

Use 12.04 or 12.10, and choose between Lubuntu, Xubuntu or Ubuntu. If your computer isn't a supercomputer, use Xubuntu. My computer is a late model one with lots of ram and processor power. I choose to run Xubuntu and it runs lightning fast under Xubuntu.

If you want to surf anonymously, look into 'tails'. It is a throw away operating system, starting from fresh every time you run it. It runs from ROM, not RAM, so it doesn't store anything from the last session. Further, it uses Tor, which hides your IP address. It is not convenient and software that comes with it is limited in order to prevent the use of software that might expose your true ip address. I would never use facebook unless it was anonymously, but for online banking and similar functions, Tails works well.

My daughter has a facebook account and can't always call home to chat. So, she uses facebook to keep friends and family updated. I have a phony facebook account and use Tails to prevent facebook from tracking me or revealing personal info that I don't want shared::>

GL in your transition to Ubuntu.

Art

Last edited by cariboo907; March 11th, 2013 at 04:58 AM. Reason: removed my name from quote, and added the op's name

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12