Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Some advice please - elderly laptop needs some TLC in the form of a suitable distro

Beans

Re: Some advice please - elderly laptop needs some TLC in the form of a suitable dist

And ... bingo. The typical ubuntu forums run away thread: the original poster posts a question, and then a loooot of replies, possibly overwhelming the OP.

Beans

Re: Some advice please - elderly laptop needs some TLC in the form of a suitable dist

Quote Originally Posted by scrumpypaul View Post
    Hi,

.......Tried Puppy Linux - came up with some sort of kernel error (pae?)

Currently trying to put Mint on it but it doesn't seem to be doing anything. In fact - no - it comes up with "This kernel requires the following features not present on the CPU: pae - Unable to boot - please use a kernel appropriate for your CPU.

That might as well be Dutch to me.................. If someone could explain what it means and whether it is something that can be bypassed/fixed/ignored??

Scrumpypaul
    It looks to me like your CPU does not support PAE.
    If you can get to a Terminal on this machine, and type the following:
    Code:
    cat /proc/cpuinfo ; cat /proc/meminfo
    then post the output here.
    This will provide more information about your CPU and Memory configuration.

Linux Lite is a very good option, but your CPU must support PAE for Linux Lite to run on it.

Beans

Going to try Crunchbang next.
    Crunchbang Waldorf will work, Manjaro Openbox will also work. I tried both of those just two days ago on my laptop with non-PAE CPU.
    http://crunchbang.org/download/waldorf Select 32-bit

From either of those you can add a Desktop Environment of your choice if Openbox is not your cup of tea.

Beans

Hello kind folks........

Thank you for all the advice and help.

It transpires that Crashbang is working on the laptop and I've set it up so my wee offspring can use it.

One minor question - how can I put a folder on the desktop? Say "videos"..........

I've tried various right/left click scenarios but to no avail.

TIA

SP
    Last edited by scrumpypaul; March 7th, 2013 at 01:04 PM. Reason: awful spelling

Beans

Hello kind folks........

It transpires that Crashbang is working on the laptop and I've set it up so my wee offspring can use it.

One minor question - how can I put a folder on the desktop? Say "videos"..........

TIA

SP
    You cannot dump files/folders onto the desktop aka root window in openbox (the window manager that comes with crunchbang). That's why you couldn't figure it out. Unless you either overlay something on the desktop like a dock or a panel or similar you will not get this functionality while openbox is drawing the window.

Beans

Hello kind folks........

TIA

SP
    http://crunchbanglinux.org/wiki/howto/add_desktop_icons

For some odd reason I though Thunar could do this?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    http://crunchbanglinux.org/wiki/howto/add_desktop_icons

For some odd reason I though Thunar could do this?
    Thunar can't I don't think. Some file managers can if you have them redraw the root window but then you will lose your openbox pipemenu. The only real work around would be rox filer.

Beans

Sorry, after reading your post properly I realised that I hadjumped in to offer advice that would have been out of date. Excuse me?
    Mark
    Last edited by Markup 001; March 11th, 2013 at 01:40 AM. Reason: Posted in error.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12