Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ubuntu To Investigate Digital Rights Management

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Re: Ubuntu To Investigate Digital Rights Management

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesemill View Post
    Who is to say it will be proprietary software?

There are open source DRM mechanisms available.
    If you write an opensource video player that implements Digital 'rights' management, then i can patch it so that instead of sending the decrypted data to the screen, it writes it to disk. You could make the OS only run signed unmodified programs, but then you destroy peoples ability to write and test new programs, or fix bugs in existing programs. Or you could bury the decryption in a closed source graphics driver (so the video player sends the encrypted stream all the way to the driver), but that does not really count as an open source DRM.

This may explain why MIR exists though.

(Also don't get confused with Direct Rendering Manager which the X server and graphics drivers use so that 3D rendering does not need to be pushed over the old network interface in X11)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by zombifier25 View Post
    Then too bad, since you're a minority.
    Canonical is not trying to make a OS conforming to all open standards serving a open-source loving market, they're trying to make a good OS usable for everyone on the world.

Some DRM is bad, I agree, but DRM can be done good (Steam for example)
    DRM'ed music and movies makes things less usable, not more usable.

The people want more freedom to use purchased media, not less. If Canonical was only making it possible to view DRM content on Ubuntu I wouldn't be so opposed, but there's a strong hint that they will start a DRM movie service. Adding another source of DRM is wrong for your users, and an intolerable slap against Linux users.

Check my history. I defended Canonical with Unity, Amazon and Mir, but ifthey plan to introduce DRM I will switch.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesemill View Post
    Who is to say it will be proprietary software?

There are open source DRM mechanisms available.
    Can you please name some open source DRM mechanisms which are commonly used?

I wouldn't be totally against if DRM implementation was an open source project but I don't believe that big companies would agree to use open source DRM mechanism in Ubuntu. I can imagine n-fork projects bypassing DRM

Beans

Hmmm is this DRM something like the Ubuntu Restriced Extras thing? Selling devices with closed source software on allowing the playing of restricted formats? Or is it something more?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by Sableyes View Post
    Hmmm is this DRM something like the Ubuntu Restriced Extras thing? Selling devices with closed source software on allowing the playing of restricted formats? Or is it something more?
    It's just based on the fact that someone at UDS raised the question of how Ubuntu Touch will handle DRM content. If Android handles it in the Java layer then Ubuntu Touch will need its own solution. If Android handles it lower down then Ubuntu can just piggyback on that.

Beans

So the Sky's not falling? awesome ^^

I do feel quite strongly against DRM, though this does look like they have just used the dirty word and Phronix has taken it as an excuse for a dirty word attention grabbing headline.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

So the Sky's not falling? awesome ^^
    No, but that's never stopped the community getting its knickers in a twist about something before.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I do feel quite strongly against DRM, though this does look like they have just used the dirty word and Phronix has taken it as an excuse for a dirty word attention grabbing headline.
    Agreed. Many people hate DRM (I hate it not because of the principle, but because of the gross inconvenience).

However, some people use DRM. It is their choice. They need a platform on which to use DRM.

If Ubuntu fails to provide DRM on principle, it would then be restricting choice — on principle. That goes against the grain of what Ubuntu stands for.

Those (such as Richard Stallman) who are against any digital product that removes freedom should not be using Ubuntu anyway, even before DRM is considered, because Ubuntu includes some proprietary software (whether open or closed source).

The problem with people starting these threads is that they expect Ubuntu to adhere exclusively to the FLOSS principle, but Ubuntu is not such a product. There are products that adhere strictly to FLOSS, and such people should migrate there.

I am a practical person, and I use Ubuntu because it is practical, not because it is free (libre or gratis). I left Windows not because it cost money or was proprietary, but because it was not providing what I was paying for and the support was inadequate.
    Always make regular backups of your data (and test them).
    Visit Full Circle Magazine for beginners and seasoned Linux enthusiasts.

Beans

If ubuntu is going to expand and eventually become like Mac and Windows (meaning more restricting or whatever), then thats ok. Good for Canonical. I haven't had issues with DRM stuff, but I like freedom. Ubuntu seems to be becoming

more like the others (like being user friendly and pretty, even though it can get kinda bloaty). Ubuntu is still strong in my opinion, however if this happens then I will probably find a new OS, like Ubuntu was when I found it (10.10).

That being said, what are some other linux or non-linux OS that can compete with ubuntu or blow it out of the water? I messed with Fedora, but i know there are others out there.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy Landau View Post
    I'm confused. What is making you upset? Making Ubuntu "DRM ready" means that you will be able to play media that otherwise would have been unavailable, wouldn't it? In other words, it is adding capability, not removing it. Or have I misunderstood?

It wouldn't affect me, anyway, because I don't buy DRM media.
    You're understanding perfectly. Several other people are not.

Making the OS DRM Ready simply means that people running Ubuntu will be able to consume DRM encrypted media without having to circumvent that encryption first. It doesn't mean you will be forced to use DRM encrypted media, or that it will magically encrypt all of your existing media. It also doesn't mean that you won't be able to continue circumventing DRM if you so choose. Windows users circumvent DRM all the time.

Every single person will fall into one of two categories.

a. You will benefit from this. (People who want to be able to consume DRM encrypted media on Ubuntu)

or

b. You will not be affected by this. (Everyone else)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123