Thread: Installing update breaks graphics drivers! (ATI/XORG)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Installing update breaks graphics drivers! (ATI/XORG)

Whenever I install 12.10, I'm prompted to install 280 updates. Whenever I install them and reboot, I get this glitched-up purple/orange screen which obviously prevents me from logging in and using the OS. I'm certain that this is a video driver/card issue, but how do I fix it? I have an ATI Radeon HD 6850 (1GB) graphics card. Everything seems to work fine when I don't do any updates, but I really don't want to use "vanilla", unupdated 12.10.

Beans
    Distro

Whenever I install 12.10, I'm prompted to install 280 updates. Whenever I install them and reboot, I get this glitched-up purple/orange screen which obviously prevents me from logging in and using the OS. I'm certain that this is a video driver/card issue, but how do I fix it? I have an ATI Radeon HD 6850 (1GB) graphics card. Everything seems to work fine when I don't do any updates, but I really don't want to use "vanilla", unupdated 12.10.

I didn't touch ANYTHING regarding drivers. I'm looking at the Additional Drivers pane, and this is what I see: http://i.imgur.com/nQAKRGH.png I'm using the (what I assume to be) default, open-source drivers.

Beans
    Distro

I didn't touch ANYTHING regarding drivers. I'm looking at the Additional Drivers pane, and this is what I see: http://i.imgur.com/nQAKRGH.png I'm using the (what I assume to be) default, open-source drivers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Installing update breaks graphics drivers! (ATI/XORG)

Try installing the fglrx graphics driver and rebooting before you install the updates, this may fix your problem.
    Cheesemill

Beans
    Distro

I switched to the proprietary, but when I logged in, Unity didn't appear at all.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Please don't double-post.
    Merged.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Merged another duplicate. Please do not cross-post.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

try the previous kernel from grub boot loader, if it works ok, then use grub customizer to choose the previous kernel as default.