Thread: Installing update breaks graphics drivers! (ATI/XORG)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Installing update breaks graphics drivers! (ATI/XORG)

Whenever I install 12.10, I'm prompted to install 280 updates. Whenever I install them and reboot, I get this glitched-up purple/orange screen which obviously prevents me from logging in and using the OS. I'm certain that this is a video driver/card issue, but how do I fix it? I have an ATI Radeon HD 6850 (1GB) graphics card. Everything seems to work fine when I don't do any updates, but I really don't want to use "vanilla", unupdated 12.10.

Beans
    Distro

Whenever I install 12.10, I'm prompted to install 280 updates. Whenever I install them and reboot, I get this glitched-up purple/orange screen which obviously prevents me from logging in and using the OS. I'm certain that this is a video driver/card issue, but how do I fix it? I have an ATI Radeon HD 6850 (1GB) graphics card. Everything seems to work fine when I don't do any updates, but I really don't want to use "vanilla", unupdated 12.10.

I didn't touch ANYTHING regarding drivers. I'm looking at the Additional Drivers pane, and this is what I see: http://i.imgur.com/nQAKRGH.png I'm using the (what I assume to be) default, open-source drivers.

Beans
    Distro

I didn't touch ANYTHING regarding drivers. I'm looking at the Additional Drivers pane, and this is what I see: http://i.imgur.com/nQAKRGH.png I'm using the (what I assume to be) default, open-source drivers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Installing update breaks graphics drivers! (ATI/XORG)

Try installing the fglrx graphics driver and rebooting before you install the updates, this may fix your problem.
    Cheesemill

Beans
    Distro

I switched to the proprietary, but when I logged in, Unity didn't appear at all.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Please don't double-post.
    Merged.
    About problems due to upgrading
    Bringing old hardware back to life.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Merged another duplicate. Please do not cross-post.

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans

try the previous kernel from grub boot loader, if it works ok, then use grub customizer to choose the previous kernel as default.