Thread: proftpd and vsftpd issue connecting

Beans

Angry proftpd and vsftpd issue connecting

I am setting up a test server on my own network with LAMP to test my web and WrodPress sites and my PHP and mysql efforts. The server will never be open to the net.

I have tried proftpd and vsftpd for two days now. The server seems to run but I can't log in from other machines on my network LInux or Windows. I get the following error:

Status: Connection established, waiting for welcome message...
    Response: 220 ProFTPD 1.3.4a Server (192.168.1.86) [192.168.1.86]
    Command: USER LouisC
    Response: 331 Password required for LouisC
    Command: PASS **********
    Response: 530 Login incorrect.
    Error: Critical error
    Error: Could not connect to server

Also, in the proftpd gui, he can't seem to find his config file or his security files. I have used CLI and can edit the config directly and they are where proftpd should expect them to be.

I know this must be really simple, but I am stumped. Especially considering I get the very same error with either program.

Thanks,
    Louis

Beans

Re: proftpd and vsftpd issue connecting

Without looking at your vsftpd.conf file, I can only really guess what is going on. Have you enabled local users? The line you need in your conf file is "local_enable=yes" also, make sure you have this line in your conf file. "pam_service_name=vsftpd"

Beans

Re: proftpd and vsftpd issue connecting

Ooops! I was doing something really really stupid! UseR is not the same as user in the Linux world. Sorry for the post. Resolved!