Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 13.04 Still On Course for April Release?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 13.04 Still On Course for April Release?

I thought this discussion on Lubuntu QA with Jono Bacon was interesting:

https://lists.launchpad.net/lubuntu-qa/msg01857.html

Of particular note:

It is pretty simple: an idea for a release management change was proposed to ubuntu-devel, and now we need to have a detailed, focused, and comprehensive discussion about whether it makes sense. These kinds of big changes take time to discuss and get right. If people are chomping at the bit for an answer, they are just going to need to wait a little until we reach a conclusion...this happens with every large proposed change in our community.
    Edit: Actually, to be more accurate, the conversation itself was on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/jonobacon/p...mment_mention#
    Last edited by kansasnoob; March 6th, 2013 at 09:12 PM.

Beans
    Distro

From my little understanding of how Ubuntu progress is mapped out, I would have thought that a suggestion like this should been a blueprint at the last UDS, the one for Raring if 13.04 was to become the rolling release. If it had not been for this idea of having an on-line UDS then this suggestion would have had to wait until the physically attended UDS for the 13.10. I am not much of an orderly person but it would make sense to me to get 13.04 out of the door and turn the 13.10 development release into the desired rolling release. This would not prevent discussion and planning and getting things in place in the meantime.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    From my little understanding of how Ubuntu progress is mapped out, I would have thought that a suggestion like this should been a blueprint at the last UDS, the one for Raring if 13.04 was to become the rolling release. If it had not been for this idea of having an on-line UDS then this suggestion would have had to wait until the physically attended UDS for the 13.10. I am not much of an orderly person but it would make sense to me to get 13.04 out of the door and turn the 13.10 development release into the desired rolling release. This would not prevent discussion and planning and getting things in place in the meantime.

Regards.
    As anxious as i was for 13.04 to become the rolling, i have to stay, you make a LOT of sense...wish the developers that were at the UDS would read your comment here...
    I get the sense that the developers of the community versions of ubuntu (like lubuntu) are getting po'd about the lack of answers as to whether 13.04 would be final released, because
    they don't know if they should continue working on it..and most of us in the community also dislike the lack of definite planning with this...

So, in view of that, what you said here makes perfect sense...

Beans
    Distro

if the alpha process of 13.04 is what you could call 'rolling' (numerous daily updates, including kernels,drivers, xorgs etc)

I see no reason why 13.04 can't be made rolling, had I not remove a bunch of stuff I would have encountered no bugs with 13.04

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    I thought this discussion on Lubuntu QA with Jono Bacon was interesting:

I've been saying for a while that Canonical's communication skills could be better ... much better. It's difficult to comment on the linked material without crossing some sort of line.
    de gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum -- Wiktionary

Beans

I particularly wanted to know what Lubuntu dev was planning on so I asked, and Julien answered:

https://lists.launchpad.net/lubuntu-qa/msg01865.html

Just to make a quick a update, there is no change in schedule [1]
    since the beginning of this cycle. We will push to have a Beta 1, and
    a Beta 2, and a 13.04 release.

There is a lot of change ongoing on Canonical side. I'm still in the
    process to analyse them and try to find the best way to adapt to this
    new direction. But the priority is 13.04, we need to keep this in
    mind.
    And he then weighed in here also:

https://lists.launchpad.net/lubuntu-qa/msg01866.html

I can't talk for Ubuntu, but for Lubuntu we are going to release 13.04, as
    most of the flavors will do. When I do a schedule, I like to stay on track
    during all the schedule. We decided 6 month ago to do a 13.04, I consider
    we have to do this release. What Canonical want to do with their flavor
    (Ubuntu) is their problem, not our.

I hope I answered your question. We will still have a lot of discussions
    after 13.04 to see how we will handle the new model of development proposed
    by Canonical, but let release this version first
    So we know that both Kubuntu and Lubuntu plan to release as previously scheduled

Beans
    Distro

@kansasnoob

I like the Lubuntu dev's description of Ubuntu as a Canonical flavour. Makes I laugh.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Finally, it was time to make Ubuntu rolling so everyone can get always fresh software like new VLC, Transmission, SFLphone and many others when tested stable.
    tox.im - Future open source Skype alternative.
    n2n VPN - Hamachi alternative for Linux, Win, Mac

Beans
    Distro

when tested stable.
    Ah! That is most important. Some people think that "latest" = "greatest." And want it. And demand it. I think that sometimes there is an assumption by maintainers that whatever comes from upstream must be stable and it is merged without it being tested. In Linux the user is the tester but that should not be true in Ubuntu. During Quantal my OS was broken by an updated Nvidia driver that already had a serious bug reported against it. The same bug that I experienced. It should never have been merged.

I am in favour of Community Volunteer Testers testing code before it gets into the main branch. Or, if we are talking about the development branch having a rolling update, after it gets merged into the development branch but before it gets released as an LTS. There must also be a system where issues are reported back to specific developers and not lost in the big heap of bug reports. If a developer fails to fix the issues (and we are willing to test the fixes) then that "latest" code of his does not get into the LTS.

Regards.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; March 9th, 2013 at 04:18 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast