Thread: How to make 12.04 look and work like 10.04

Beans

Question How to make 12.04 look and work like 10.04

How can I get Ubuntu 12.04 to look and operate like 10.04? I already did the Fallback command where you can choose Gnome instead of Unity at log in but I still can't display the Computer (The Linux Equivelent of Windows My Computer) Icon on the desk top or my partitions or mounted external Drives also there is no menu bar or Tray at the top or bottom of the screen like in 10.04 where you could add the Weather report and system monitor and other helper apps plus any programs that have a minimize to try like Lucky Back won't work properly when you select Minimize to try because once you do that you can't access the program again even though it my be still running in the back ground like what happened to me with Lucky Backup when I selected Minimize to tray and it kept rrunning the backup but there was no way to bring it's window back up to monitor it's progress and know when it was finished and if it had any possible errors.
    Another program I use called Minbar that won't work in 12.04 because it needs the Tray to display it's icon that lets you acces it and it's settings.

I HATE Unity it's annoying how they copied the current trend in the indrustry and tried to make Ubuntu simular Windows 8 and and IPAD style interface computers should have a mouse based interface not touch screen most people don't have touch screen Desktop computers.

I've tried Xubuntu and don't like it because it looks too much like Windows NT or a Network Server box and has the same problem with not being able to display the computer icon on the desktop or any of your partitions or external drives.

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: How to make 12.04 look and work like 10.04

Have you seen this page? It might cover what you're after.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Pr...eClassicTweaks
    Cheesemill

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Just a point to note; Windows 8 was not released until October 2012. Unity had been the default interface in Ubuntu for 18 months prior to that.

If you like the old style interface, perhaps you should consider Linux Mint with a MATE desktop? MATE is a fork of Gnome 2 and Linux Mint 14 is based on Ubuntu 12.10.
    Please create new threads for new questions.
    Please wrap code in code tags using the '#' button or enter it in your post like this: [code]...[/code].

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by daldude View Post
    How can I get Ubuntu 12.04 to look and operate like 10.04? I already did the Fallback command where you can choose Gnome instead of Unity at log in but I still can't display the Computer (The Linux Equivelent of Windows My Computer) Icon on the desk top or my partitions or mounted external Drives also there is no menu bar or Tray at the top or bottom of the screen like in 10.04 where you could add the Weather report and system monitor and other helper apps plus any programs
    Well that's strange, because I have all of that functionality using the Gnome 3 login on my 12.04 system.
    Regards, David.
    Please use the Forum search and Wiki search for immediate help
    Please mark your thread as Solved when appropriate
    New to technical forums?: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way