Thread: New Ubuntu upgrade and NVIDIA driver still not working

Beans

Unhappy New Ubuntu upgrade and NVIDIA driver still not working

After new Ubuntu 12.10 upgrade the menu taskbar, launchpad disappeared and nowhere to click. I get only the background screen in high resolution After some previous Ubuntu updates I got the same result so I serached in forums and I knew what I had to do and I followed the steps to reinstall Nvidia driver. After this last ubuntu 12.10 update I did it again but now I get the same useless Ubuntu.
    Nvidia driver: 310.32
    Graphic card: Nvidia Gforce 430
    Ubuntu version: 12.10

These are the steps I made.
    1. CTRL+ALT+F2 to prompt login
    2. sudo apt-get update
    3. I stopped xserver sudo service lightdm stop
    4. sudo chmod 755 Nvidia- LInux-x86-64-310.32.run
    5. sudo ./Nvidia-Linu-x86-64.310.32.run
    6. Installation process started
    7. I get "The distribution-provided pre-install script failed! Continue installation anyway?" (Answer: Yes)
    8. I get "Would you like to register the kernel module sources with DKMS? This will allow DKMS to automatically build a new module, if you install a different kernel later. (Answer: Yes)
    9. When prompted to install 32-bit compatibility libraries (Answer: Yes)
    10. I get "Would you like to run the nvidia-xconfig utility to automatically update your X configuration file so that the NVIDIA X driver will be used when you restart X?" (Answer: Yes)
    11. I get ""Would you like to run the nvidia-xconfig utility to update your X configuration Automatically
      That file so the NVIDIA X driver will be Used When you restart X? Any pre-existing X configuration file will have backed up." (Answer: Yes)
    12. sudo start lightdm
    13. It returns and I get the same USELESS UBUNTU QUETZAL

It drives me crazy. It stops me in my work. Please any hint or tip. What else can I do??? I don't want to return to use Windows.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: New Ubuntu upgrade and NVIDIA driver still not working

Hi!, fijanos,

Check that:
    Code:
    linux-headers-generic # and: 
    linux-headers-'uname -r'
    are installed, if not install them and rerun the nvidia installer.

[Run 'uname -r' and insert the output in place of 'uname -r' in the above command.]

Chao!, bogan.
    "Better Solutions may bring Worsened Problems": After Lao Tse, b. circa 405BC. a contemporary of Confucius, who died circa 600BC.
    They did things differently in those days, apparently!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

If you use the drivers from the Ubuntu repositories instead of downloading the ones from the ATI website then you wouldn't have this problem.

At the moment you are having to manually compile the kernel modules for your video card every time your kernel is upgraded, with the drivers from the 'Additional Drivers' application all of this is taken care of for you.
    Cheesemill

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesemill View Post
    If you use the drivers from the Ubuntu repositories instead of downloading the ones from the ATI website then you wouldn't have this problem.

At the moment you are having to manually compile the kernel modules for your video card every time your kernel is upgraded, with the drivers from the 'Additional Drivers' application all of this is taken care of for you.
    This is just not true any longer for Nvidia drivers - I can not speak for ATI.

As You can see, from the OP's Post, the nvidia-installer gives the option to register the kernal module with DKMS:
    "Would you like to register the kernel module sources with DKMS? This will allow DKMS to automatically build a new module, if you install a different kernel later. (Answer: Yes)
    This has been available for several months with drivers of version 304.xx and later.

Chao!, bogan.
    Last edited by bogan; March 7th, 2013 at 09:55 AM. Reason: spacing
    "Better Solutions may bring Worsened Problems": After Lao Tse, b. circa 405BC. a contemporary of Confucius, who died circa 600BC.
    They did things differently in those days, apparently!!

Beans

Integration between Unity and nVidia Driver is a disaster.
    Open source project seems to have been abandoned.

Beans

I have the very same problem. Some "upgrade" has degraded the resolution of my screen from 1920... to 1600.
    I went through several step-by-step installation procedures for the nvidia driver, but my screen is stuck in this lower resolution, even though it worked fine a few days ago. I am running the Nouveau driver now (open source) which seems unable to drive my Quadro FX570 at its full resolution. Need I tell you that running WINDOWS on the very same hardware (dual boot) gives me the full resolution? THis is PATHETIC-- and I hope Shuttleworth is aware of it.