Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wireless refusing to work

Beans

Question Wireless refusing to work

Hello, first post here, but it's all problems that need some resolving.

I downloaded Ubuntu 10.04 onto my Dell laptop 32bit, it runs ok, and I downloaded version 10.04 because initially attempting to install and use version 12.04 wasn't allowing any wireless connection to the internet so reverted to the older version 10.04. This worked well for a while until ubuntu decided to update itself when I went to make a cuppa and when I returned 5 minutes later version 12.04 of Ubuntu had appeared and been automatically installed. Now wireless will not work again, and even ethernet will not work. So I'm on windows 7 until this is fixed.

Firstly I would love to know why there is no wireless available.

When looking further into the wireless issue I checked the driver for wireless and it has been discovered that on my laptop Broadcom STA proprietary Wireless Driver needs to be activated (for Ubuntu only as with Windows all is working fine) but the activate button was blanked over and could not be clicked on.

Is this Broadcom info relevant?

Thirdly, I like Ubuntu, it's quick and quite simple to use, but as a reaction to these difficulties experienced and investigated into when trying Ubuntu, why is it so hard to try and be using Ubunto online? From my searching this is an ongoing trouble with Ubuntu.

Lastly, I'm not expert and do not understand all the technical talk, please can any replies be as though you're talking to a 5-year old please or my brain hurts!

Beans

Re: Wireless refusing to work

Quote Originally Posted by Utterlybewildered View Post
    Hello, first post here, but it's all problems that need some resolving.

I downloaded Ubuntu 10.04 onto my Dell laptop 32bit, it runs ok, and I downloaded version 10.04 because initially attempting to install and use version 12.04 wasn't allowing any wireless connection to the internet so reverted to the older version 10.04. This worked well for a while until ubuntu decided to update itself when I went to make a cuppa and when I returned 5 minutes later version 12.04 of Ubuntu had appeared and been automatically installed. Now wireless will not work again, and even ethernet will not work. So I'm on windows 7 until this is fixed.

Firstly I would love to know why there is no wireless available.

When looking further into the wireless issue I checked the driver for wireless and it has been discovered that on my laptop Broadcom STA proprietary Wireless Driver needs to be activated (for Ubuntu only as with Windows all is working fine) but the activate button was blanked over and could not be clicked on.

Is this Broadcom info relevant?

Thirdly, I like Ubuntu, it's quick and quite simple to use, but as a reaction to these difficulties experienced and investigated into when trying Ubuntu, why is it so hard to try and be using Ubunto online? From my searching this is an ongoing trouble with Ubuntu.

Lastly, I'm not expert and do not understand all the technical talk, please can any replies be as though you're talking to a 5-year old please or my brain hurts!
    I loaded Ubuntu 12.10 dualboot with windows 7 on my dad's old Dell Inspirion laptop. The printer works now, with CUPS, but have to go to Windows to surf the net. Sad to say he doesn't want the wired connection, has given up with Ubuntu and only boots it when I'm there and can point him to his MsWord docs for printing.
    Last edited by mozgren; February 24th, 2013 at 06:01 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mozgren View Post
    I loaded Ubuntu 12.10 dualboot with windows 7 on my dad's old Dell Inspirion laptop. The printer works now, with CUPS, but have to go to Windows to surf the net. Sad to say he doesn't want the wired connection, has given up with Ubuntu and only boots it when I'm there and can point him to his MsWord docs for printing.
    Thanks for your reply mozgren, yes it's getting to the stage that there's little point in continuing with ubuntu if it's so faulty and no signs of it's repair or even how to fix it. Sad really because ubuntu in use for the main is good and fast, but if there's basics that aren't working why bother. Surprising nobody has come up with an answer.

So far because of the situation here ubuntu has now been uninstalled, in the last ditch hope that reinstallation might clear the slate and a new installation sort things out, and the earlier version 10.04.4 is now installed, which in itself is different to look at than version 10.04 although that isn't a problem just unexpected how much change that is so easy enough got used to. But, STILL no wifi! Wired ethernet connection does work, with apps installed to do it. But why of WHY no wifi???????

Total mystery, with with nobody able to come up with an answer can see a lot of people going elsewhere where wifi is important. Come on ubuntu get it together!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Utterlybewildered View Post
    Total mystery, with with nobody able to come up with an answer can see a lot of people going elsewhere where wifi is important. Come on ubuntu get it together!!!
    Utterlybewildered,

Certain parts of these forums have so high number of new threads that it is usual for threads to go out of the first page or even out of a search result after a few hours. If that happens with one of your threads without answers or 'useful' answers, feel free to bump it after 24 hours.

Now regarding the original issue, I may *try* to help if you could post output of -
    Code:
    lspci -nnk | grep -iA2 net
    Enter the above command in a terminal and post back its output here. You may just copy-paste it in the terminal (with your mouse) to avoid typing errors.
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

If you still care for a solution I have moved the post to a forum where it's more likely to attract answers.
    About problems due to upgrading
    Bringing old hardware back to life.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by varunendra View Post
    Utterlybewildered,

Certain parts of these forums have so high number of new threads that it is usual for threads to go out of the first page or even out of a search result after a few hours. If that happens with one of your threads without answers or 'useful' answers, feel free to bump it after 24 hours.

Now regarding the original issue, I may *try* to help if you could post output of -
    Code:
    lspci -nnk | grep -iA2 net
    Enter the above command in a terminal and post back its output here. You may just copy-paste it in the terminal (with your mouse) to avoid typing errors.
    Will indeed bump, thanks

I'll go and try it in a while and post back later today

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mrgs View Post
    If you still care for a solution I have moved the post to a forum where it's more likely to attract answers.
    Thanks for that, wasn't really sure where to post so took my best guess

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Another (low-tech) idea is to begin with a fresh install of 12.10. Since you have been struggling with this for a week I believe a reset is worth trying. 10.04 has less than two months life time left anyway, so no point in troubleshooting.
    About problems due to upgrading
    Bringing old hardware back to life.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I believe Broadcom activation requires a wired connection. I've been successful avoiding Broadcom devices so far so no experience. If your wired connection isn't working either, oh boy. I suspect you're a candidate for a 'buy something known to work out of the box' solution. I have a couple adapters that work 'out of the box' for me. Trendnet TEW-649UB and Netgear WNA1100. You have to be careful with Netgear, a lot of their USB WiFi adapters DON'T work out of the box - some seem like a real PITA but the WNA1100 has been okay. I also have a Trendnet TEW424UB v3.x which is big and ugly and slow but has been plug 'n' play since Ubuntu 9.10 I think. There was a version 2.x which looks the same but was not plug 'n' play. I've used the slow Trendnet when I needed an internet connection to download drivers for a faster adapter or other hardware.
    Last edited by kurt18947; March 6th, 2013 at 03:28 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by kurt18947 View Post
    I believe Broadcom activation requires a wired connection. I've been successful avoiding Broadcom devices so far so no experience. If your wired connection isn't working either, oh boy..
    Actually, most often it is as easy as downloading the linux-firmware-nonfree package on another computer > copy it to the Ubuntu machine > double-click to install it > Done!

The one I linked above is for precise (12.04), one may have to change the version according to his/hers.
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast