Thread: Installing Version 12.04

Beans

Unhappy Installing Version 12.04

Hi
    I got my Dell Vostro 2520 few days back with Ubuntu 11.10.
    I would like to know how I can install Ubuntu 12.04 either fresh (no important data as of now to backup) or as an upgrade as I need to install some software which runs only 12.04.

I tried to upgrade using update manager and I am getting an error like 'Authentication failed. there might be a problem with the server or with the network'. Not sure what this means and how to resolve.
    I tried to run from command line and I got some messages as attached in the text file.
    Particularly in the last line I got an error saying
    "E:Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead."

Can some one help me in this. Desparately looking for a solution.
    Thanks in advance
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Installing Version 12.04

Hi,

I've been using ubuntu for a few years. As a general rule, if I want to change to a new version, I will do a clean installation off of a CD or DVD (depends on the release). If you download and burn the latest release of 12.04, it will be 12.04.2, which installed on my PC with no issues.

The following link contains additional information and suggestions that may be helpful: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/fballem/Software%2012.04

Your laptop has Intel graphics, not nVidia graphics, so please ignore any instructions that relate to the nVidia drivers.

Hope this is of some help to you,
    "Always take the high road! That way, nothing will hit you when the brown, gooey stuff hits the fan."
    Additional setup for Ubuntu 14.04: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/fballem/Software%2014.04

dino99 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

for a fresh installation:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...1#post12495221

for an upgrade:

Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
    there, change "oneiric" by "precise", then

Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    Code:
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Beans

@dino99
    Thanks for your inputs. I tried to save the changes in the sources.list, but I could not as the file has only read permission and the file is owned by root.
    How can I change this permission. I think this is the reason the upgrade is failing. Any suggestions?

Beans

One more observation from my side
    I also saw that 'Trusted software providers' list under the tab 'Authentication' in update manage utility is blank. Not sure whether the Authentication failed error is due to this.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Did you use "SUDO" in

Code:
    $ sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
    ?
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."

Beans

Hi
    This is what I could see
    sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
    [sudo] password for meuser:

(gedit:4444): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to store changes into `/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but failed: Failed to create file '/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel.8Z8LTW': No such file or directory

(gedit:4444): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to set the permissions of `/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but failed: No such file or directory

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

That error is not important, gedit opens in new window.

But anyway, since you said there is no data to backup, just do a new clean 12.04 LTS installation. Much better than upgrading.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 64bit & Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Beans

How can I proceed with clean installation. The update manager is not recognizing the CD image (I just burnt the DVD after download)
    Should I use the setup option while booting my laptop or there are any other options

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

You need to boot the computer with the cd/dvd. Update manager has nothing to do with it.

Make sure the optical drive is the first device to boot in bios, or use the computer boot menu if it has one (usually by pressing F12 during boot). After it boots from the cd it will ask you if you want to Try or Install. You might as well select Try one time to see if it will load the live desktop correctly on your hardware. There is Install icon on the desktop to install from live mode.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 64bit & Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit