Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Root disk full

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: Root disk full

Quote Originally Posted by schragge View Post
    I was hoping some big unlinked open files would show up in the output of lsof. But so far the largest open file is /usr/lib/firefox/libxul.so
    Maybe this will help:
    Code:
    sudo find /proc/*/fd -type f -links 0 \! -empty -ls
    Another possibility, albeit quite improbable, is that some big files lurk at the /home mountpoint hidden by mount. Try to unmount /home and see if there's something in there.

@sully101
    Well, I guess you can free up /usr only by uninstalling some packages. Besides, 6G doesn't look like too much to me.
    Now, thats is strange. I booted from USB disk, mounted my root partition and df -h shows 7.4GB used on /dev/sda5 (which is my root partition) out of 18GB, that is 11GB free. This is even 400MB less then diskspace analyser shows.

And: there is nothing in the /home mountpoint, i.e. no overlay mount.

I found a quite extensive thread on http://serverfault.com/questions/570...-df-difference but nothing there helps me.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Ok, that is strange. After booting from USB and rebooting the problem has disappeard. Note that I could not run fsck since it seems to require ext partition format, while I am using xfs.

I have a suspicion that the filesystem filled up because of the emulated 512kB logical sector size on 4096kB physical sectors on the new DELL harddisks. I will continue on this thread when this reoccurs.

Thanks for patience and help.

Beans
    Distro
    Mythbuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

There might be a clue in this http://www.postgresql.org/message-id...ilentmedia.com I know its talking about databases but theres a hint in there about xfs preallocation
    I muddled sometimes get my words up

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12