Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trouble loading drivers for Atheros 8161 (ubuntu 12.10)

Beans

Trouble loading drivers for Atheros 8161 (ubuntu 12.10)

Hello all,
    I am trying to get ubuntu 12.10 to see my on-board NIC. After much searching (not to mention wailing and gnashing of teeth) I found this. I followed the instructions as best I could, with adjustments for my version of ubuntu. My machine is set up as a dula-boot (Win7 and Ubuntu).

An "arch" gets me "x86-64" and "uname -r" results in "3.5.0-17-generic"

As directed by chili555, in the post referenced above, I gathered all the packages using the Windows side of my machine, flipped over to the Ubuntu side executed "sudo dpkg -i *.deb" and got the following:
    john@sahara:~/Desktop$ sudo dpkg -i *.deb
    [sudo] password for john:
    (Reading database ... 142367 files and directories currently installed.)
    Preparing to replace build-essential 11.5ubuntu2 (using build-essential_11.5ubuntu3_amd64.deb) ...
    Unpacking replacement build-essential ...
    Preparing to replace dpkg-dev 1.16.1.2ubuntu7 (using dpkg-dev_1.16.7ubuntu6_all.deb) ...
    Unpacking replacement dpkg-dev ...
    Preparing to replace g++ 4:4.6.3-1ubuntu5 (using g++_4.7.2-1ubuntu2_amd64.deb) ...
    Unpacking replacement g++ ...
    Preparing to replace gcc 4:4.6.3-1ubuntu5 (using gcc_4.7.2-1ubuntu2_amd64.deb) ...
    Removing old gcc doc directory.
    Unpacking replacement gcc ...
    Preparing to replace libc6-dev:amd64 2.15-0ubuntu10.2 (using libc6-dev_2.15-0ubuntu20_amd64.deb) ...
    Unpacking replacement libc6-dev:amd64 ...
    Selecting previously unselected package linux-headers-3.5.0-25-generic.
    Unpacking linux-headers-3.5.0-25-generic (from linux-headers-3.5.0-25-generic_3.5.0-25.39_amd64.deb) ...
    Selecting previously unselected package linux-headers-generic.
    Unpacking linux-headers-generic (from linux-headers-generic_3.5.0.25.31_amd64.deb) ...
    Preparing to replace make 3.81-8.1ubuntu1 (using make_3.81-8.2ubuntu2_amd64.deb) ...
    Unpacking replacement make ...
    dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of g++:
    g++ depends on g++-4.7 (>= 4.7.2-1~); however:
    Package g++-4.7 is not installed.

dpkg: error processing g++ (--install):
    dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
    Setting up gcc (4:4.7.2-1ubuntu2) ...
    Setting up libc6-dev:amd64 (2.15-0ubuntu20) ...
    dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of linux-headers-3.5.0-25-generic:
    linux-headers-3.5.0-25-generic depends on linux-headers-3.5.0-25; however:
    Package linux-headers-3.5.0-25 is not installed.

dpkg: error processing linux-headers-3.5.0-25-generic (--install):
    dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of linux-headers-generic:
    linux-headers-generic depends on linux-headers-3.5.0-25-generic; however:
    Package linux-headers-3.5.0-25-generic is not configured yet.

dpkg: error processing linux-headers-generic (--install):
    Setting up make (3.81-8.2ubuntu2) ...
    dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of build-essential:
    build-essential depends on g++ (>= 4:4.4.3); however:
    Package g++ is not configured yet.

dpkg: error processing build-essential (--install):
    Processing triggers for man-db ...
    Setting up dpkg-dev (1.16.7ubuntu6) ...
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    g++
    linux-headers-3.5.0-25-generic
    linux-headers-generic
    build-essential
    john@sahara:~/Desktop$

It looks to me like I'm still having "version" issues with the packages, but these were the closest I could come in my searching. Can anyone help me?

John

P.S. An lspci gets me this:
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v2/3rd Gen Core processor DRAM Controller (rev 09)
    00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v2/3rd Gen Core processor PCI Express Root Port (rev 09)
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v2/3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller (rev 09)
    00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family USB xHCI Host Controller (rev 04)
    00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family MEI Controller #1 (rev 04)
    00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #2 (rev 04)
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 04)
    00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 1 (rev c4)
    00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 5 (rev c4)
    00:1c.5 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev c4)
    00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #1 (rev 04)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation H77 Express Chipset LPC Controller (rev 04)
    00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family 4-port SATA Controller [IDE mode] (rev 04)
    00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family SMBus Controller (rev 04)
    00:1f.5 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family 2-port SATA Controller [IDE mode] (rev 04)
    03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR8161 Gigabit Ethernet (rev 08)
    04:00.0 PCI bridge: ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1083/1085 PCIe to PCI Bridge (rev 03)
    Last edited by johncroc; March 26th, 2013 at 11:40 PM. Reason: changed prefix

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Trouble loading drivers for Atheros 8161 (ubuntu 12.10)

I suggest you try downloading and installing ONLY this: http://packages.ubuntu.com/quantal/l...5.0-25-generic
    Code:
    sudo dpkg -i Desktop/linux-image*.deb
    Be sure to get the 64-bit (amd64) version. If it all goes without error, reboot and your ethernet should be working.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

SWEET!!!

I'm at work right now, but will attempt this when I get home.

Very sincere "Thank you" for your reply.

John

Beans

I was so excited about the possibility of getting the network working that I ran home for lunch to try your suggestion.

I'm afraid I have bad news and maybe an even bigger pickle: I got the Linux image file you suggested, installed it using "sudo dpkg -i Desktop/linux-image*.deb" I looked carefully at the output and it seemed to complete with no errors. I went into the network configuration (upper right corner icon) and it still didn't see my NIC, so I restarted ubuntu thinking maybe that's what was required for the change I made, to be implemented. Now my wireless keyboard and mouse no longer work in ubuntu. They work when I flip over to the windows side (that's how I'm typing this message) and they work prior to Ubuntu booting (that's how I can choose ubuntu from my boot menu).

Help!

John

Beans
    Distro

I am not very familiar with mice and keyboards. You might see what driver is loaded under an old kernel and compare it to the new one:
    Code:
    lsusb
    You might also try looking for errors. When you reboot into the old kernel, the message log for the previous (new kernel) boot is stored here:
    Code:
    less /var/log/dmesg.0
    Use the arrow keys to scroll back and forth to look for errors, warnings, etc. Get out of 'less' with q.

Does it help to unplug and replug the devices so you can troubleshoot?
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

Since this has become a "Why does my Logitech wireless KB & M work fine when I boot 3.5.0-17-generic, but not at all when I boot 3.5.0-25-generic?" question, I'm going to ask that in the appropriate forum. Thank you Chilli555 for your help. I will come back to this thread when I get my HIDs working in 3.5.0-25-generic.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by johncroc View Post
    Since this has become a "Why does my Logitech wireless KB & M work fine when I boot 3.5.0-17-generic, but not at all when I boot 3.5.0-25-generic?" question, I'm going to ask that in the appropriate forum. Thank you Chilli555 for your help. I will come back to this thread when I get my HIDs working in 3.5.0-25-generic.
    I'll look forward to it!

Beans

I'm re-animating this thread because my keyboard-issue thread in the hardware forum has received no replies. Since the change to the "3.5.0-25-generic" kernel produced a new problem (for which I haven't been able to find a solution), I'm wondering if the smart play is to pursue a network solution that is based on the "3.5.0-17-generic" kernel.

By the way, I tried the diagnostic things chili555 suggested and I only see that the "registration" of the kbm receiver occurs when I boot the old kernel but not when I boot the new one. No error in the new kernel...just not there at all. Weird, because it sees my webcam (semi-exotic peripheral), but not my keyboard (fundamental peripheral). The keyboard issue smells like a kernel "bug" to me and I don't want to get hung up on a possible "bug" that will eventually solve itself.

So, chili555, or anyone else who may have input; is there a way to solve my Atheros 8161 driver issue without upgrading the "-25" kernel?

Beans
    Distro

You can download the necessary bits and pieces and install it in -17. It will be very difficult without an internet connection. VERY!

Do you have wireless?

Beans

I do not have wireless, but in following your similar thread (here) I became quite adept at downloading on the Windows side, booting Ubuntu, mounting my "windows drive" in Ubuntu, dragging files to my desktop, and running dpkg in a terminal window.

By the way, although an absolute greenhorn here in the Linux world, I am a 30 year veteran of the IT world (albeit almost exclusively on the "Windows" side). So I'm probably more able to trudge through a set of difficult instructions than many.

I'm ready. Fire away!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast