Thread: php socket with java program socket, possible?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

php socket with java program socket, possible?

I am trying to connect my php server with a java program....the idea is that when a user hits a button it calls a php script, I would like this php script to in someway send data to a java program that I have running (currently both on localhost but eventually the php server will be hosted and just the java will be on my machine). The reason for this is because when the user pushes the button and the java program receives that, I need to send data over serial (usb) to my arduino.

I have looked into php/JavaBridge, but it is having me install an apache tomcat server, wanting the java side to be a java servlet (is that what is required? i was thinking just a standard java program).....I feel like a simple socket might work and be easier?
    Last edited by Xender1; March 6th, 2013 at 04:31 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: php socket with java program socket, possible?

Sockets are sockets. You should be able to write a socket server program in Java and connect to it from your program. The first link below is pretty much exactly what you need:

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/ja...et-140484.html
    http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutori...ets/index.html

You don't need servlets and a servlet container like Tomcat to do this. It might make sense if you had a more extensive web service but I don't think it does in this case.
    Please create new threads for new questions.
    Please wrap code in code tags using the '#' button or enter it in your post like this: [code]...[/code].

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Re: php socket with java program socket, possible?

Quote Originally Posted by Xender1 View Post
    eventually the php server will be hosted and just the java will be on my machine
    I think that before making your decision you should investigate what is permitted by your intended hosting environment. Otherwise you may end up producing something that works locally where you have full configuration control, but falls foul of a firewall or other configuration that you cannot control. If I was in your situation, I'd be thinking along the following lines.

Can I reasonably expect my hosting solution to permit a call out to a remote web service? Yes. Can I readily test this? Yes. If not, would a redirect of the client browser be just as effective? Can I reasonably expect to connect to an arbitrary socket? Probably not. How easily can I test that? etc.

Technically, as r-senior says, sockets are sockets. However, I think that in a hosted context there's more to consider, as above.
    Last edited by spjackson; March 6th, 2013 at 11:36 AM.