Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installing Propellerhead

Beans

Installing Propellerhead

Okay I am a industrial music programmer. my cpu just died recently but i got a ubuntu put onto a old laptop which is kinda cool problem is I never used ubuntu I know how to do basic stuff it seems like.

I need propellerhead reason 5.0 to work on the computer I want to see if i am doin osmething wrong, or if I am doing everything right it just cannot run on the laptop

OKAY so i installed WINE-then i did all the necessary steps I CLICK ON REASON ON MY UBUNTU DESKTOP it says blah blah blah do you wnat to do blah blah blah, then the program loads and it just stays there, it does not go past the loading screen ill sit there for 30 minutes and it just does not load. I am going to get diablo 2 to see if that can run on this guy. AM I DOING SOMETHING WRONG can u help me plz.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: I need help really really bad.

Hello and welcome!

Not everything works equally well, if at all, under WINE.

You might want to drop by winehq.org to look through their database to see what sort of rating your software has earned and come back armed with that information.

Best of luck!
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I gather this is a music recording studio. It looks like a pretty good one too.
    That means it is most likely going to need to need realtime access to the
    hardware so you don't get audio glitching and stuff. I am not very optimistic
    that a program of this type will run well under wine. You may be able to get
    it to run, but I think it would be unrealistic to expect it to work as well as if
    it was running on windows. If this is something you rely on for your job ...

People switching to linux often try to run exactly the same programs
    that they ran under windows. And so just about the first thing they do is
    try to run a bunch of windows stuff using WINE. And then they get upset
    and blame linux if they can't get it to work or if their programs don't run as
    well uas they did on windows, and they end up switching back to windows
    convinced that linux doesn't work.

You need to recognise that it is actually a pretty amazing trick to get windows executables
    to run in a linux environment at all. Just try running a linux executable in a windows
    environment and see how far you get. But the trouble is that people don't recognise
    what a miracle this is. Instead of being awed and amazed that the thing runs at all they
    complain bitterly if it doesn't run quite as well as they are used to.

This is why I hate WINE - because I reckon it encourages unrealistic expectations.
    Running a windows program under WINE should be absolutely the last thing you try.
    It should be regarded as an act of total desperation if you simply cannot find a native
    linux program that will do the job. Instead for many people who have newly switched to
    linux, it seems to be just about the first thing they have a go at.

My own experience with WINE has been very mixed. Sometimes it works amazingly well - better
    that you would have any right to expect. Sometimes it won't work at all. And sometimes
    it works but there are issues with the way that the program runs. WINE is a temperamental
    beast. Some people who use it a lot get very good a tweaking settings to get things to run. I'm
    not one of them so maybe I shoudn't be answering this. But then again these WINEmasters
    tend to be rather more enthusiastic about using WINE than I think is merited so perhaps it is a
    good idea that a mere mortal like myself should throw in a word of caution first.

So the first thing I want to ask you is whether you've checked out all the native
    linux recording studios out there to see if any of them will do the job. Those are
    pretty much guaranteed to work straight off with no mucking about and no
    performance issues.

Only once you are sure that no native linux application exists that will do the job
    you need to do would I (reluctantly) look at trying to run your windows application
    under WINE. Be pleased if you can get it to run. Be astounded and amazed if it runs
    well. If that happens make sure you are properly grateful. Sacrifice small animals
    to the god or gods of your choice. You've just experienced a small miracle.
    Life's a pitch. And then you sing!

Beans

I am going to get diablo 2 to see if that can run on this guy
    Diablo 2 works flawlessly, as well as the expansion. I play it all the time

Diablo3, however...good luck. Even if you get it working you'll probably get banned by blizzard for using third party software. lol

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Installing Propellerhead

Please use an informative title and post in the Wine forum.
    Have fixed both.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Re: Installing Propellerhead

Here's the WineHQ web page for Reason 5.0:

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...sion&iId=21319

IF you read through the Test Results, you may find the answers you're looking for.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    Hello and welcome!

Not everything works equally well, if at all, under WINE.

You might want to drop by winehq.org to look through their database to see what sort of rating your software has earned and come back armed with that information.

Best of luck!
    hi DOnkey person thank you for the quick reply! It got a silver reward i believe I am not to sure bout these ratings, I will post it here so there is more understanding. http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...sion&iId=21319 I GOT DIABLO 2 TO RUN SEXILY on my computer the problem is though that sometimes the computer freezes up Not in diablo 2 but when im browsing on firefox. That is how crappy this laptop is can you tell me how to post my specs on here?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by hawthornso23 View Post
    I gather this is a music recording studio. It looks like a pretty good one too.
    That means it is most likely going to need to need realtime access to the
    hardware so you don't get audio glitching and stuff. I am not very optimistic
    that a program of this type will run well under wine. You may be able to get
    it to run, but I think it would be unrealistic to expect it to work as well as if
    it was running on windows. If this is something you rely on for your job ...

You need to recognise that it is actually a pretty amazing trick to get windows executables
    to run in a linux environment at all. Just try running a linux executable in a windows
    environment and see how far you get. But the trouble is that people don't recognise
    what a miracle this is. Instead of being awed and amazed that the thing runs at all they

This is why I hate WINE - because I reckon it encourages unrealistic expectations.
    Running a windows program under WINE should be absolutely the last thing you try.
    It should be regarded as an act of total desperation if you simply cannot find a native
    linux program that will do the job. Instead for many people who have newly switched to

My own experience with WINE has been very mixed. Sometimes it works amazingly well - better
    that you would have any right to expect. Sometimes it won't work at all. And sometimes
    it works but there are issues with the way that the program runs. WINE is a temperamental
    beast. Some people who use it a lot get very good a tweaking settings to get things to run. I'm
    not one of them so maybe I shoudn't be answering this. But then again these WINEmasters
    tend to be rather more enthusiastic about using WINE than I think is merited so perhaps it is a
    good idea that a mere mortal like myself should throw in a word of caution first.

So the first thing I want to ask you is whether you've checked out all the native
    linux recording studios out there to see if any of them will do the job. Those are
    pretty much guaranteed to work straight off with no mucking about and no
    performance issues.

Only once you are sure that no native linux application exists that will do the job
    you need to do would I (reluctantly) look at trying to run your windows application
    under WINE. Be pleased if you can get it to run. Be astounded and amazed if it runs
    well. If that happens make sure you are properly grateful. Sacrifice small animals
    to the god or gods of your choice. You've just experienced a small miracle.
    I absolutely love how much time you spent typing this out, this is my second post on the forum and you showing this much dedication towards this makes me wonder about the ubuntu people. Okay. that being said this is the ******* third time i set this up I FINISH ONE PARAGRAPH AND THE COMPUTER FREEZES. I just wish it for it to work, i thikn it could run but only if one problem is addressed i think the specs on the cpu are not goin to be good enough to run it is there a way that i can check the specs on this computer. OKay im going to reply to you in paragraphs so it doesnt **** up for some reason it doesn like you. this is a side job of mine, i will be making music for indie video games most likely and I got 3 offers it seems to look like right now, i just posted on about 15 different forums. here is the music im creating http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcMnLILwqns

Beans

I promise i wont use to many windows programs on here just a couple of games this music program and like stuff to do job applications till i get my old computer back. Linux is doing its job wonderfully MY CPU is the one who is horrible amongst mankind.. it ******* freezes from being on mozilla, when i had windows on it it never did that and it ran that program ad i could play video games like league of legends and some other kinda new-old games. Now it seems nohing works so thats why i wish to show you guys the specs to find out if its this cpus problem.

Beans

It is amazing haha i relaly did not know how the linux people did that it is kinda quite impressive and this os is free. I like the layout and how everything is, but there is a lot i need to learn about the os first before i do anything, its just i need ot kill for this music program right now haha. One day in the future we might have 3 oses running in one machine that interact with each other flawlessly, it will eb a lo of work till then but this is getting kinda close it creeps me out.

I never used ubuntu hell i had vista on this junk box before i never knew what linux or ubuntu were about. I heard it was kinda a underground os so to speak, i saw my brother with this old laptop and there was this os AT first i thought it was something to do with apple and no they said ubuntu, i was overwhelmed at first but then i clicked on mozilla firefox they have on here and it ran pretty goood sometimes frooze but other then that i was pretty happy then i tried to do other htings with it and it got confusing as hell, but i just looked up guides online now im catching up pretty quickly. the only reason why i need this program so bad is because i used it for 8 years my sound quality is perfect for industrial on there, WHEN if i grab a linux program i would have to learn it all over again which could be another 8 years ill be 200 years old by then.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast