Thread: xubuntu vs ubuntu and wine

Hybrid View

Beans

xubuntu vs ubuntu and wine

So I am very new to ubuntu but I am getting used to it. I have ubuntu at work and xubuntu at home on an ancient pc so I can mess with the os and ubuntu's ui does not display correctly on that pc.

But I am mainly asking about wine. I installed it on both and tested small programs like minecraft to make sure I could get wine to work. On ubuntu I installed java (windows) with wine and ran mc and it ran just fine.
    Then I went home on xubuntu and did the exact same steps and I get a java error- java virtual machine could not start.
    Is there any differences between the 2 distributions that can cause this error? Btw they are up to date and running 12.04

Beans

Re: xubuntu vs ubuntu and wine

You shouldn't need wine to run minecraft on Ubuntu, java runs natively in Linux.

Download the .jar file from minecraft.net instead of the .exe

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Hi monkey10120. Welcome to the forums

If your main concern is running Minecraft, I wouldn't worry about wine. MC runs directly under Java.

Install Java from the software Center, and run MC natively on (X)Ubuntu.

Hope it helps. Let us know how it goes.
    Regards.

Beans

Oh sorry i think that I got the wrong pioint off. im not going to run minecraft I was just testing to see if I could get a windows program up and running. I was just mainly wondering if there are differences between the os that gives me the java error. We have a few java programs at work and it qould be nice to know of a fix ahead of time if I run into it.

Also I am liking ubuntu a lot after using for a few days. I might actually make a permanent switch

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Are both your work and personal machines running the same bit version (32b or 64b)?

I don't have access to my Xubuntu machine right now, but you can check if you are using the same wine version by running:
    Code:
    apt-cache policy wine
    Let us know how it goes.
    Regards.

Beans

Yeah they are both running 32bit and wine 1.4.1. I also tried 1.5.25 and still no luck