Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Clonezilla problem

Beans

Clonezilla problem

I've just attempted to clone an NFTS partition containing Windows XP (prior to wiping it altogether) using Clonezilla (very recently downloaded live cd, so latest stable version). The partition has about 150gb of data and it was being saved as an image on an external usb drive (Seagate FreeAgent). According to Gparted the latter is formatted ext4 and has about 750gb unused space on it, confirmed also by the file browser in Ubuntu (which is on another partition on the same disk as XP - ie a dual boot setup). The cloning process started fine, but after a short while it terminated, saying there was insufficient space on the target drive. I don't understand this and would be grateful for advice from more experienced users. Should I suspect Clonezilla (it has a very good reputation), the FreeAgent drive, or something else? Are there ways of probing the external drive to find out more of what's going on?

Beans

Re: Clonezilla problem

Is Windows XP working? If so, what I would recommend, instead of Clonezilla (which I use all the time to backoff Linux filesystems), is to download and install the Free version of Macrium Reflect in XP, and use that to image off XP to an external drive.
    Ubuntu 14.04, Mint 17; MS Win 8.1.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans

Thanks for that suggestion, Mark. I've not come across Macrium Reflect, so will check it out. I've already got Ghost (early version before it got messed up) but I've learned to be wary of using Windows to clone Windows. A lot of people suggest Linux handles such things much better. But before I go any further I really want to investigate the FreeAgent drive, as I don't want to be using it to store important backups if there are issues with it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

you can try redobackup.

perhaps you didnt' set clonezila propperly. their menues can be confusing sometimes.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans

I've had another try, this time saving the image to a folder, rather than root, in the external disk (vaguely remember reading something yonks ago about not saving directly to root in these drives), but the same thing happened: "the device is full. Create more disk space and try again!" Or words to that effect. I've had a look at Macrium Reflect, but can't find any info about supported file systems. Most Windows programmes can't write to Ext4, so without confirmation that it can, I'm reluctant to use it. I suppose I need to try with another drive, but I don't have a suitable one to hand at the moment. I can't reformat the one I've been attempting to use as it has other important data on it. Anyone got any bright ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Check the external drive for hidden files ,like .trash , perhaps that is filling it up.

Beans

Thanks. There's only the one hidden file, .trash and that has very little in it. In the meantime I've found another drive and will be using that for the cloning. I should have space on it to take all the stuff on the problem drive too, then I'll reformat it and see if that helps.

Beans
    Hidden!

I would do it a bit different. Instead of a snapshot I would clone partition to partition and for windows I would use NTFS filesystem. Forget exactly how its worded, but would also just use the easy (beginner?) clone. Your USB HDD being empty, clonezilla will use the whole thing. Just a suggestion as this works for me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I believe when you clone it copies empty and full sectors so you need a hard drive at least as big as one you are cloning even if it is mostly empty

Beans

Thanks for those helpful suggestions. I've made a start now, using Redo. So far so good - none of the problems I had before - but it's got another 3 hours to go. If successful I'll review the strategy, but for the moment after a whole run of things not going right it's just great to have something going to plan!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast